About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:54:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Yangzhou School Bottle- Your Thoughts Please!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Yangzhou School Bottle- Your Thoughts Please!  (Read 6275 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 02:38:06 am »

Dear Jo,

After re-reading this post, I could not for the life of me, remember how I dated that bottle when I held it in my hand in late May. How did I date it then, antique or modern?

I want to thank you and David again for the wonderful time I had in NC. The steak was especially memorable - I love good steak, well done.  Grin    And I enjoyed looking through the catalogue you gave me. Oddly, they did not have that impressive one in the ROM in Toronto when the same exhibition was on display - only a much edited version.

Best,
Joey

Dear Jo,

Sorry for this late reply. Not that I disagree that it is probably better to be safe than sorry, but I don't find the color of the SB you originally posted to be out of the realm of possibilities for 19th Century Yangzhou production.  The following is a group of four snuff bottles sold for circa $4,714 in May 2010 by Bonham's London.  It included a 6.3 cm High example with a color very close to the one you posted.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17817/lot/44/

I found a few others that were either slightly more blue or slightly more lavender.  The colors bounce all over the place. Another example, I have been researching a wonderful 19th C double overlay Yangzhou SB with the outermost layer in cinnabar red and other than the fact that they are all opaque the reds go from light fire-engine to almost dark brown.  These artisans were not trained chemists so the proportions were usually made "over the thumb", the way our grandmothers used to make those delicious meals and desserts.   

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: