About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 03:50:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Yangzhou School Bottle- Your Thoughts Please!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Yangzhou School Bottle- Your Thoughts Please!  (Read 6614 times)
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 04:17:27 pm »

Dear Joey,

Just reading this interesting thread and noticed that Ulrich never got around to clarifying his post.  You asked him, "But, you use terms that confuse me. What are 'rawlings'? And I have never heard of 'snowstorm' glass; 'snow flake', yes." 

Well since Ulrich is apparently a German name I guess that he may have done a partial translation of "rohlings" - a German term for "blanks" as in blank objects that are unfinished or undecorated. The German word "roh" translates to "raw" in English. 

I have a few snowflake SB's that I have been researching and came across a few auction results using the term "snowstorm" instead of "snow flake". The following is a link to the list of "liveauctioneers" sellers who use the term including "Qinn's" who are dealer members of the ICSBS.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search?q=snowstorm+glass+snuff&by_date=2015-06-29T14:14:47.964Z&sort=relevance&dtype=gallery&hasimage=true&type=complete&rows=40

And even Christies has started to use the term:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-three-color-overlay-glass-sn-1750-1850-5880133-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5880133&sid=092e7827-f758-449d-a1a3-6cc5e94ca830

And finally a little update on your Qianlong YuZhi six color overlay glass SB from the Martin Shoen collection.  It was sold in sale # 9 of the Bloch Collection in November 2014 by Sotheby's Hong Kong:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/snuff-bottles-from-mary-george-bloch-collection-part-iv-hk0524/lot.97.html

With regards to your trade, "I traded that bottle to Robert Hall for two Ding Erzhongs in glass; a Zhou Leyuan in quartz, and a superb Daoguang Imperial mark and period underglazed blue & white porcelain landscape subject bottle, and the bottle made its way to George Bloch's collection. In fact, it was on the cover of his glass volume."  Judging by the fabulous increase in the prices of great middle school IPSB's especially Ding Erzhong's, I would say you made a very good trade then and even more so now. Smiley

Best regards,

Tom B.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:19:01 pm by Tom B. » Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: