About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:44:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The Forum is a - rocking !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Forum is a - rocking !  (Read 1021 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: January 29, 2014, 09:14:47 am »

Hi All

Today  two big   surprises !

1.  I met  up   with  Geoff    in HK.  He  came  back to my  home  and  he   brought   with  him several   of  his   MIPB   bottles    -  some  pretty  amazing   stuff .  REALLY ! 

Next  stop is  that  I  go  to  Geoff's    home  when he  has  finished   renovation    and   our  Chinese   wives   chat  while   we    do the   IPB  thing  ( or vice  versa depending  on how  long  Geoff's   renovation   takes )   

Main point  is  that  AT  LAST  I  have  met  up  with a  fellow , like-minded   VMIPB   collector  in HK ! 

The  Forum  Rules  OK ? 

2. Surprise  #2    :  George  posted   that  truly  amazing    Persian  Cat  pic  bottle  on the  side  bar 

There's  a  very  big   story behind  that    cat  bottle...

If  you   research  Zhang  Keqin   you   will   quickly see  that  she  is  " Miss  Cat" 

Even  in  CIPMA  she   exhibits   her    purr-fect    cat  pics as  her   suprmeme skill.  And  as  a  one-time  house-hold "owner"  of  eight  Persian  cats  I  can  vouch  for the  fact  that  Ms Zhang   has  faithfully  captured  true  cat  faces,  unlike most  other   cat  MIPBs ( even  by Wang  Xisan)   which  look  like  Tom and  Jerry  cartoons .  It  is  truly  very  hard  to  paint  a  cat  (especially  a  Persian  cat)  unless   one  has  really   lived   with   such a   cat 

Well   ...  the  story...  it  was   a    frigid   December   2012   and there  was   an  exhibition  of  Chinese   Arts  and  crafts    at the   Agricultural   Exhibition   Hall  in BJ .  I  went  to  see  the  exhibition  because   Jill  Guo Jie    said there  was a  sub-section   devoted  to  IPBs. Indeed  there   was    such,  and  Jill's  Husband, Li Hui,  hosted  a   great  Japanese   lunch  for  all the    artists    who  were  there .

Aaaaah  those  were  the  days  my friend....  !

I later   took a  walk on a  frozen  pond   with  Da  Yong /  Zhang Yong  :  the  craziest  but  perhaps  the  most  talented    artist  in  Hengshui  today .  I must  find the  pic  and  post  it ....

At the  exhibition    Zhang  Keqin  had  shared a   booth   with  my  all-time   hero  Song Yiming. They often  partner together on  exhibitions  because  they  have  a   similar    style  .  Very  refined  and   detailed 

On  one  shelf  was    this  totally   AMAZING   Persian  cat  bottle .   I  just  took  one  blink  and  fell  in   total  love   with  the  bottle 

Zhang  Keqin  was  there  at the  stand  so  I  asked  her  how much  to  buy  the  bottle .
She  protested   and  turned  the  bottle    around    to  show  that the  back  side   was  only  sketch -  outlined   using  some    beautiful   stone-shaped   flaws  in the  natural  crystal  bottle . So  as  far  as  she  was  concerned,  the  bottle  was  only  half - finished.  She  said  she  had   spent   two months  just  on the  A-sde

I  "demanded" an  on the   spot   price  because  I  said  that  the  bottle  was  so  beautiful  on the  A-side   that  I  would never   exhibit  the  B- side   even  if   completed.  Ms  Zhang  named a   price   which  was   exactly  the   RMB  I  had  with   me  at that  time.  EXACTLY !

Later,  Ms  Zhang  came  to  HK  as a  sponsored   artist-of-the-month by  China  Arts  and  Crafts     so I  asked  her to   write  the   history  of  how  it  was  I  bought  this  bottle    on the  un-completed  B- side.

So  if  ever  there is/ was  a  unique  bottle  it's  this  one  :   the  A-side  probably  THE  most  beautiful  Persian  cat   bottle  ever  painted  and   the  B-side    a  story.

The  new  "CIPMA"  book    which came  out  in 9.2012 (unfortunately  only  in  Chinese   and  the  book  is  exclusively  the  Ji  School  I have   scanned    it  if  you  want a   soft copy  and it  is  now  encoded  into  my DB )    featured   Zhang  Keqin .  And  there,  prime  of  place,  was    this  unique  Persian  Cat bottle   !

So  I think  that  this   truly   beautiful cat bottle   deserves  it's  prime    slot  in the   side  bar  of the  Forum

Zhang  Keqin   张克芹   Watch  this   space....

Cheers
Peter

* CC Copy of (177).jpg (29.41 KB, 695x1024 - viewed 37 times.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:53:08 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:23:23 pm »

I saw this bottle at Peter's home yesterday. It really is a spectacular bottle from the front with two ghost-like cat outlines on the back.

And I'm not a cat lover (birds are my hobby, feathered variety but wild)

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:57:10 pm »

Dear Peter,
   I love cats, but not Persians or other long-haired breeds. I love Siamese and Burmese, and Abyssinians. The latter is funny, because ALL the wild feral cats in Israel look like purebred Abyssinians! And I stay far away, in order not to get 'Cat-Scratch Fever', which is endemic in the Middle East.
  But your bottle is a stunner. Thank you for posting it.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:34 pm »

Hi  Joey,  Geoff

That  cat  bottle  is   one  of  the   very  few   bottles  in my  collection   that I  would  NEVER   part   with  , not  for  love  nor money

PRICELESS !

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:42 pm »

Dear Peter,
   Did anyone offer to buy it?  Huh    Grin
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970