About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:18:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Modern glass overlay bottles

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern glass overlay bottles  (Read 5774 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 10:00:54 am »

Another snippet again today from the same October 2002 Arts of Asia magazine, Old and New Glass Snuff Bottles, S.L. Tan..

An accomplished Artisian and craftsman used the correct combination of color and material would help to bring out the subject matter; much like the craftsmen from the Suzhou workshops, who used the inclusions or natural color of the stone to emphasis or create the subject matter. The old red overlay bottle (19) has a snowflake base, the hue of the red color selected for the overlay is slightly darker than that of the base bottle had been of clear glass. This helped to create a definite separation between the overlay and the base bottle and also help to emphasis the subject matter. The main decorative motif, depicting a carp trying to jump over a dragon gate, is well designed and finely carved. Secondary subject matter used to lead one main scene into another or as a separation is placed on the narrow sides of the bottle, and is represented in a simple and yet effective way, as are the stylized rock and the tree trunk (20). In contrast , the new glass bottle decorated with an almost identical decorative motif (21) has a yellow color base glass with a light red glass overlay. This combination makes it difficult for the viewer to focus on the subject matter. The modern craftsman has gone beyond what is needed and added many unnecessary details to the secondary subject matter (22).

* 003.JPG (215.41 KB, 693x603 - viewed 127 times.)

* 004.JPG (189.2 KB, 690x594 - viewed 133 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 02:07:16 pm »

Dear George,

This could even be from the 1950s. I would give it a possible dating of ca.1953-1973.
Best,
Joey

Here is a very simple overlay on clear glass which has been etched to give the appearance of camphor glass..

1960's bottle...

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

albert

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:03 pm »

Hello,

During these months I visit some antiques shops and marquets, but I think that is impossible to see the difference bettwen the new and old bottles. Can some one tell me where I can buy the magazine: "Old and New Glass Snuff Bottle"? I think that It can be really useful for me.

Thanks,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:12 pm »

Dear Albert,

It is an article in the magazine Arts of Asia in Hong Kong, September/October 2002 issue.
Please note international surface mail delivery takes 8-10 weeks.
Airmail delivery takes 1-2 weeks.

Include US$8 per copy for the cost of surface mailing (for delivery by air mail to America, Europe and Australia, the cost is US$15 per copy; for Asia, US$13 per copy). Send your order together with a cheque, draft, or by American Express, Visa or MasterCard, with relevant details to:

Arts of Asia Publications Ltd
16B, Tesbury Centre,
28 Queen's Road East
Wanchai,
Hong Kong

Telephone: 852-2376-2228
Facsimile: 852-2376-3713

E-mail: info@artsofasia.com

Best Wishes,
Joey

Hello,

During these months I visit some antiques shops and marquets, but I think that is impossible to see the difference bettwen the new and old bottles. Can some one tell me where I can buy the magazine: "Old and New Glass Snuff Bottle"? I think that It can be really useful for me.

Thanks,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 11:40:23 am »

A very modern overlay bottle I bought recently when there was little else out there.

The foot is deeper than others I have because the roundness of the bottle continues on the base of the bottle and isn't flat like others.

Regards, Adrian.

* P1300482.jpg (48.97 KB, 390x480 - viewed 81 times.)

* P1300481.jpg (48.34 KB, 376x480 - viewed 73 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 08:25:02 am »

I like the contrast between the overlay color and the white ground..  Very attractive and thank you for sharing it !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
albert

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:40 am »

Thank for the information Joey! I'm going to seethe magazine page.

Dear Albert,

It is an article in the magazine Arts of Asia in Hong Kong, September/October 2002 issue.
Please note international surface mail delivery takes 8-10 weeks.
Airmail delivery takes 1-2 weeks.

Include US$8 per copy for the cost of surface mailing (for delivery by air mail to America, Europe and Australia, the cost is US$15 per copy; for Asia, US$13 per copy). Send your order together with a cheque, draft, or by American Express, Visa or MasterCard, with relevant details to:

Arts of Asia Publications Ltd
16B, Tesbury Centre,
28 Queen's Road East
Wanchai,
Hong Kong

Telephone: 852-2376-2228
Facsimile: 852-2376-3713

E-mail: info@artsofasia.com

Best Wishes,
Joey

Hello,

Thanks,
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:52 am »

Hi Adrian,

It is refreshing to see a modern overlay glass bottle of good quality that is not pretending to be old. This one appears to be carved to a high standard and is unmistakably pushing out in a "new" direction stylistically.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

rosegl

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 12:49:47 pm »

Hi guys,
may I mix in this discussion. Owning a couple of "very modern glass overlay bottles" that are recognizably new, never pretended to be old and seem nevertheless of good quality to me, I'm asking myself if we shouldn't move towards a change of paradigm as has been the case for very modern inside painted bottle. Why don't we recognize them as contemporaneous, but nevertheless valuable, expressions of Chinese craftmenship?
Regards
Georges
Report Spam   Logged
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 07:37:13 pm »

Agreed but then we should do it for ALL materials not only glass, in my view ...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »

Bottles that are recognizably new, never pretended to be old and seem nevertheless of good quality to me, I'm asking myself if we shouldn't move towards a change of paradigm as has been the case for very modern inside painted bottle. Why don't we recognize them as contemporaneous, but nevertheless valuable, expressions of Chinese craftsmanship?

All,

I thought this was a given.  Some collectors just buy old and utilitarian bottles.  I tend to purchase from an intrinsic art appeal, whether it be old or new.  Gosh given the actual numbers in my collection more than half my bottles are likely post 1990. 

I have no inhibitions about buying new IPBs, nor buying new bottles (which I have done) made from glass, hardstones, lac burgate, gourds, ivories, metals, enamels on metal, enamels on glass, cloisonne, horn, bone, porcelain, etc.,  as long as they are appealing, have artistic merit, and can be considered utilitarian; i.e., I steer away from non-functional cabinet pieces. 

There are many very, very, very (how many times can I say 'very') fine bottles in what I would consider renown collections that are not IPBs that have been made post 1950.

Charll

P.S.- Adrian, I looked long and hard at the same bottle that you posted and was considering a bid, for I also collect 'Mulan' themed bottles.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:29:38 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 09:26:57 pm »

Owning a couple of "very modern glass overlay bottles" that are recognizably new, never pretended to be old and seem nevertheless of good quality to me, I'm asking myself if we shouldn't move towards a change of paradigm as has been the case for very modern inside painted bottle.

Hi Georges,

We have had similar discussions on the forum before! Some of us do collect modern bottles of high quality, as Charll has confirmed in his response above.

An obvious parallel to the success of modern inside painted bottles are the enamels on white glass bottles. Up until recently these all tried to copy the Palace workshop examples. Artists are now starting to break out into new styles, and signing their own names instead of putting fake reign marks on them. You Fenghua is the most prominent of this new generation of enamellers.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 06:58:06 am »

Dear Adrian,

Against my will, I love the overlay that you posted! I say that, because I love the bottles made for use from the Qing Dynasty.

But I cannot argue when you, Tom, Pat  and Charll show examples which are obviously, unabashedly modern but superbly made. These are artworks as fine as any from before.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 08:12:25 am »

I was trying to abide by my New Year resolution to buy better bottles with the feeling that apart from IP bottles it would mean older ones.

I had this one on a watch list for some time and every time I looked at it it's appeal never faded and as there were a few people also watching it I thought I better get in before they did. Sorry Charll.

To me it's about artistry and craftsmanship and if that's there in a modern bottle that isn't trying to pretend it's something it isn't then I'll be happy to spend my money.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 10:36:33 am »

Dear Adrian,

I respect your style of collecting.
Best,
Joey

I was trying to abide by my New Year resolution to buy better bottles with the feeling that apart from IP bottles it would mean older ones.

I had this one on a watch list for some time and every time I looked at it it's appeal never faded and as there were a few people also watching it I thought I better get in before they did. Sorry Charll.

To me it's about artistry and craftsmanship and if that's there in a modern bottle that isn't trying to pretend it's something it isn't then I'll be happy to spend my money.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 08:47:21 am »

Here is for sharing.

Some modern overlay bottles I collected since 1990's.

Inn Bok.

* 206.JPG (85.69 KB, 478x640 - viewed 52 times.)

* 476.JPG (93.01 KB, 478x640 - viewed 52 times.)

* 152.JPG (83.13 KB, 478x640 - viewed 48 times.)

* 153.JPG (79.94 KB, 478x640 - viewed 42 times.)

* 144.JPG (81.67 KB, 478x640 - viewed 45 times.)

* 169.JPG (81.32 KB, 478x640 - viewed 58 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 12:54:42 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,

I really like the second one and the last one.
Thank you for posting the bottles.
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »

My favorite is the last one...

Thanks for sharing these !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 03:23:46 am »

Overlay bottles of modern era.

For sharing.

Inn Bok

* 149.JPG (84.51 KB, 478x640 - viewed 37 times.)

* 154.JPG (86.72 KB, 478x640 - viewed 38 times.)

* 155.JPG (84.24 KB, 478x640 - viewed 37 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 04:15:15 am »

overlay bottles of modern era.

for sharing.

Inn Bok

* IMG_5106.JPG (307.52 KB, 735x980 - viewed 37 times.)

* IMG_5107.JPG (350.72 KB, 735x980 - viewed 40 times.)

* IMG_5105.JPG (221.64 KB, 612x816 - viewed 46 times.)

* IMG_5103.JPG (252.04 KB, 612x816 - viewed 38 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: