About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:33:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The Tao Of Painting / Discussion Of The Fundamentals Of Painting

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tao Of Painting / Discussion Of The Fundamentals Of Painting  (Read 5818 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 11:04:40 pm »

George,

I have no IT knowledge, but this thread was dormant for a long time. Could it just be a technical glitch? And if it really was a spammer, they left an unintelligible list of poll options, which doesn't make any sense.
One last point, I thought a poll can only be initiated by the person who started the thread. Have I got that wrong?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:07:08 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 11:13:11 pm »

Hi Tom,

It was precisely the unintelligible list of poll options, that almost got me to clicked the link.

I was in the mental mode to learn and find out more information on a trusted source/thread. So, I lowered my defenses a lot... and I was curious what the options means, so I almost clicked it to find out what they mean. Luckily, I caught myself with the question of "why a link instead of a simple sentence."

That is why after seeing the other comments, that I say it is "insidious" almost designed to catch inquisitive people.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 01:07:11 am »

David,
    I checked it to see what was new. I check everything on the Forum. It's addictive.
I didn't tap on the link, but I did try to check the results. It didn't work, so I left the whole thing alone.
I hope I didn't get anything in my computer...
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

David

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2014, 01:45:19 am »

Hi Joey,

I know... I am addicted too... can't believe I ended up spending so much time on this, but it is interesting.

Checking the result should be fine, as that should belong to the site under George's control.

It is only when you go to a hacker/ed site, or click on a button/popup (if they lock/freeze you or something seems odd, then I usually just turn off wifi or pull the ethernet, then power off (or force power off or pull the plug)) the computer or when you download something, then they have a chance of inserting something. An active/blatant attack are usually stopped by your firewall and system, so they need to sneak something in first.

The idea of using an older laptop or computer when surfing the net, I picked up from my brother. It might be something for you to consider. Just make sure that if you do, never let the internet surfing computer link to your work/important computer or backup into your storage system (like time machine).

It is a hassle, but I think it is a pretty easy fail proof way then to try to keep up with the latest virus/malware/trojan/worms/etc... update from the virus checker.

David

Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 01:58:21 am »

Hi Giovanni,

Sorry, I forgot to answer. I clicked on the book link, as they look valid (amazon, and good read), on my sids. I don't think they work as the item most likely got sold, so I went online and type it.

An habit of mine is that when I move the pointer over a link, I never click it immediately. I usually look on my Safari window lower left corner of the frame. I habitually double check that the address shown there matches (or is reasonable) to the link that my pointer is over. I click after that check passes.

But, sometimes I forget when it is from someone familiar.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 06:33:26 am »

George,

I have no IT knowledge, but this thread was dormant for a long time. Could it just be a technical glitch? And if it really was a spammer, they left an unintelligible list of poll options, which doesn't make any sense.
One last point, I thought a poll can only be initiated by the person who started the thread. Have I got that wrong?

Way to go Tom !  I had not thought about that, and yes.. , The original poster is the only one who can initiate the poll..  Now I am even more perplexed, but did finally get it removed.

Glitch may well describe it !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 09:07:09 am »

Dear YT,
thank you for having told me that this is an old thread! I didn't realized that, stupid me! I just opened the previous page and did read David commenting Goerog eability to find books and see the poll, so I thougth that George had just started a poll and David was the first answer. Now everything is clear but I am very surprised to learn that tehre is the possibility to be infected by a virus also on a site like this one. I thought that Forums always had some filter that amke this impossible.
That of ASSUME is a nice one Joey! Haha
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2014, 10:47:22 am »

Now everything is clear but I am very surprised to learn that tehre is the possibility to be infected by a virus also on a site like this one. I thought that Forums always had some filter that amke this impossible.

It is completely safe Giovanni.. No chance the site will infect your computer..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2014, 11:53:05 am »

Thank you dear George, I am relieved.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2014, 12:10:19 pm »

Hi George,

I am glad your site is safe, but it is better not to "Ass U Me" all sites are safe.

Whew... my stress level went up while reading the comments.

But, I am still curious... Can you not check the log files to see when the poll was added? I checked your site, and see that it is similar to the lapidary site that you mentioned in the threads. It is also anonymous registered and domain with Go Daddy.  So, I assumed you are using a commercial packaged site that you customize for snuff bottles.

Or ask the person maintaining the site to do a check on the log files?

It might provide some clue as to whether it is a glitch.

I can see a glitch causing the poll selection to be corrupted and show up in hexadecimals or random characters, but I don't see that a glitch can create a link that looks proper or to actually create a poll.

Hi Giovanni,

I don't think it is a traditional virus that you get from sites, it has been a long while since I last looked at the soft side since my school years. But, basically, they insert like a small program when you go on to the site. This small program is similar in coding to how your browser is able to load and view pages. Or to call the apps or applications like adobe/flash reader etc... Or to download a file.

Usually, your browser and OS will protect your system from doing anything suspicious. So, improper commands from the small program are not allowed and rejected, sometimes the browser freezes or shuts down to protect itself.

But whenever there is a vulnerability or bug in the browser or OS, then the smart hackers will exploit it. Depending on the type of bug, they can be very creative.

One example is to insert a code after you click on a link. This code then downloads in the background from another site a full blown virus. Or it opens a virtual session on your computer to the hacker (you notice that your cursor keeps on disappearing).

One thing to keep in mind, is that to the hacker they don't care or they don't usually target a single person. They target a 100 million people on 1000 sites (modified web crawlers), if 10% clicked, then they have a million possibles. If 10% of these do not have the latest update, block pop ups, set security to high, disallow application calls without manual clicks, or did not shut off after going on line, then they "got in successfully" to 1000 people. Next step, I don't know. But that is my understanding of how they work.

It is better to be safe, then sorry.

Next time I post on a old thread, I will try to remember to write something at the beginning.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »

Hi George,

I just got 3 books, I can't believe how nice the Ma Shaoxuan book is!   Shocked

I thought it is just a paperback  Cheesy

Going to save that for latter, after I build up some background from the general ones.

David

Tongue  PS... I just used up my book budget of 300,
Sources of chinese tradition col 1 & 2, Theodore de Barry
Glossary of chinese snuff bottle rebus, Li
Origins Chinese Character, Wang

These book should keep me occupied for a while.
Report Spam   Logged

David

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 07:07:35 pm »

Dear YT,
thank you for having told me that this is an old thread! I didn't realized that, stupid me! I just opened the previous page and did read David commenting Goerog eability to find books and see the poll, so I thougth that George had just started a poll and David was the first answer. Now everything is clear but I am very surprised to learn that tehre is the possibility to be infected by a virus also on a site like this one. I thought that Forums always had some filter that amke this impossible.
That of ASSUME is a nice one Joey! Haha
Kind regards
Giovanni

Dear Giovanni,

You are very welcome Cheesy
I am equally stupid when it comes to technology and requires my son's assistance constantly.

When it comes to assumptions, Joey is back to his brutal self Tongue
Dear Joey, I am just joking Wink

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 01:15:33 am »

Hi George,

Just finished the "Handbook of Chinese Snuff Bottle" by Cornforth and Cheung. I don't have much to compare to, but I think it is quite superficial and leaves much to be desired.

I am a little surprised by the collections that are photographed in there. I do plan on buying some of the catalogs that Tom mentioned, and either the Hugh Moss J&J or the Kliener's one, after I read through what I have ordered.

I do like the snap shoot of the price from 2002 (although auction estimate might be too optimistic for some, but it gives a feel), of these modern bottles or "commoner/tourist" bottles. It gives me a vague/rough mental idea of how little or how much a certain type moved relative to the other over time.

The really good one that they inserted over 500, are very nice though.

And it also reconfirms that when I start to do serious collecting, I have to collect the top level within a category of whichever field.

It is funny, that they have a student landscape and hundred kid similar to mine.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2014, 01:25:21 am »

Hi David,

Interesting to hear your observations of that book. When you posted the list of books you had ordered, I wanted to say, don't bother with the Cornforth book. But since you already had bought it, I said nothing.

You should try and aim for books which have A1 photography and A1 bottles. In that respect most of the books by Robert Kleiner, Robert Hall, and the 'trio' consisting of Hugh Moss/ Graham Victor/ Ka Bo Tsang have excellent photography of excellent bottles.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2014, 01:47:34 am »

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the advice, a few of those are on my next round of book shopping list (as they will wipe out 1/2-2/3 of my current allocated budget). If I can see a logic compatible to me in snuff bottle collecting, then it will be worthwhile to get them.

Right now I am starting on the Hidden Meanings. Once interested, I tend to read through everything I could in a reasonable timeframe and let it sink. Then I will reread a few and think about it some more.

I will cut and paste your advice to my notes,
Thanks,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2014, 02:26:10 pm »

Hi George,

Just finished reading Hidden Meaning in Chinese Art, by Bartholomew.

It is a good book, I actually "knew" but don't know about 1/2-1/3 of the things she covered (the other 1/2 to 2/3 are completely new to me). It is so nice to understand the why of some of them and to learn more. I can't believe you can combine theses meanings like that! It is amazing, so, thank you for pointing this book out.

The only thing I don't understand is that I recall there should be more meaning regarding the martial side. It is lacking in this area and the daoist/religious side.

It would have been a great book if she dates when the rebus started/ended, and for which region.

But for auspicious (which is in the chinese title) things, it is great and allows me to understand a bit more of my root.

I would suggest people to not buy the paperback if they are serious, It fell apart and I have to tape it at each bundle...

I am just going to put what I feel here as I go throughout the books, so I don't revive old threads all over your forum, please feel free to cut and paste where you see fit.

I went ahead and ordered Chinese Art: A Guide to Motiff and Visual, by Welch. To get another view point. I am curious to see if flower/plants/tree really are that heavily interpreted or if it is just because she likes flowers and plants.

David
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 02:27:52 pm by David » Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2014, 04:35:26 pm »

The only thing I don't understand is that I recall there should be more meaning regarding the martial side. It is lacking in this area and the daoist/religious side.

Maybe some else here can guide you to a better reference for this...

Sorry to hear the book fell apart on you.. I did get the hardback copy, as I do for all books when ever possible..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:51 pm »

Hi All

Please  let  me  enter  this   discussion ,  which  is   actually  at  the  heart  of  my  "theme"  re  VMIPBs

WHAT   DOES  A  VMIPB   ARTIST  PAINT   THESE  DAYS ?

Is   it  a   Chinese   farie ?  A Chinese  extempor ?  A  cat ?  A  bird ?    A  famous  person  ? 

What  is  original   art-within- a bottle ?

Huh

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2016, 02:36:30 am »

I think a good price if you don't have ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-TAO-OF-PAINTING-2-Volume-set-1956-Mai-Mai-Sze-Chinese-Art-Study-Book-/121972914916?hash=item1c6626fae4:g:xnoAAOSw7FRWXxXq
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2016, 11:41:30 am »

Dear George,

Thank you. I bought it for my Israeli library (I already had it in Ireland).
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: