About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 17, 2024, 11:20:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Shandong bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shandong bottles  (Read 518 times)
rosegl

« on: January 11, 2014, 05:44:02 am »

George,
I just discovered the bottle you posted on your blog. Very nice!
It reminds me of some bottles I bought in the early 70ties (knowing nothing about SB indeed).
Do you know if the were "industrially" produced? Are there known artists?
Here are two examples of my collection.

Regards

Georges

* SB 37.jpg (61 KB, 199x252 - viewed 23 times.)

* SB 52 a.jpg (108.82 KB, 268x333 - viewed 25 times.)

* SB 52.jpg (105.09 KB, 258x317 - viewed 29 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:45:39 am »

Dear Georges,
      The one you posted with the yellow overlay is very much like  one of the first two snuff bottles I purchased in mid-Feb.1970. I paid CAD$25 then, and I wonder if mine would be worth that today!
      It was dropped by the maid while polishing it (not that I'd asked her to; in fact, I'd requested she NOT touch my Chinese Snuff Bottles!) a few months later, but by then, I knew it wasn't that great (What Peter, who is very knowledgeable in modern IPSBs, calls a cheap commercial product), and I had about 12 bottles, so I wasn't too broken up over it (I was 13, and my parents took me out to buy another bottle to replace it. And I got a really nice agate bottle instead.)
 Shabbat Shalom,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rosegl

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:44 pm »

Thanks, Joey. In fact, I bought it at the same time (around 1970) and for a similar price. I agree as for the "commercial" production, that's what I meant with "industrially" made. The one with the bird/flowers and the landscape (bought in 1975, even cheaper) was the one that reminded me of the bottle published by George. Again, I don't know if somebody else would let it in a collection, but it seems of better quality.
Regards from an unusual warm Switzerand
Georges
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:58:34 pm »

Dear Georges,
     George would; I wouldn't; Peter wouldn't; I don't know about  the others.
Here in Jerusalem, it has been quite nice lately, though we had dreadful snowy weather late Wed. night 11.Dec. to Sat.night 14.Dec. It then took a few days to clear away. Of course, that was a month ago. But the 'trauma' remains...   Cheesy
Best,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 04:03:15 pm »

Hi Georges..

I think some are much nicer than others..  One of our Members, Bill is spending time collecting these ( dated ) Shandong bottles in an effort to put together a historical timeline about them.

I think there is a point in about the 60' or 70's where there is a deffinate difference and we start to see many just like your yellow one above.. Then again a difference between the obvious Middle Period bottles.. 

Will be interesting to see what Bill comes up with down the road as he continues to acquire these and shares a historical timeling from his studies.. 

You must be talking about this recent bottle published..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 08:51:08 pm »

Hi All

I was  not  aware  that   Bill  Patrick  ( I assume   you mean  Bill  Patrick) was  putting  together a  collection  of  Shandong bottles.  As  far as I know   Bill  concentrates  on the  modern Ji  School , and  some  early  cultural  revolution. However you can  check  Bill's  collection on his  amazing website  www.snuffbottlecollector.com  (on which I  hope  Bill  will eventually let me  publish my collection  on-line).
There's a  link to  Bill's  web site  in the  side bar.

Personally I have  never  been  particularly  impressed by the  Shandong ( "Lu")  school  artists - with  a  few  notable  exceptions. Also  I have  never been  sufficiently impressed to collect their  works.
Speaking very  generally :  the  Lu  school bottles  seem to me    simplistic, stereo-typed and  often   rather  boringly the  same. They  lack the  rich  variety and  genuine  creativeness of the   Ji School , so  I can nearly always spot  a glance a Lu  school bottle  vs  a  Ji  school  bottle .

No  - I   don't mean by that statement  that  I  consider  myself  an "expert" .  It's  simply  the  fact that the  differences  are usually  so obvious.

The same  goes   for the  difference  between   the  "real thing"   and   what  I  loosely call "high- grade  tourist class  bottles" ( and even  more  so  regarding the   difference  between   low-grade  /  factory  quality  bottles).
It  stands  out a  mile.

I recently  put  together a  collection of   five  goldfish ("Kai")  bottles to  show the  differences  in quality to   an  art  collector  who was  not a    snuff bottle  collector:

a) 1 x factory-made / tourist class quality : US$5
b) 1 x high class tourist quality  (real artist/ probably  junior Ji  School  but unsigned) : US$ 50
c) 2 x good  artist quality ( Song Shi, Li Hui ) : US$ 1,500
d) 1 x superb  artist  quality / lifetime  best  work example  ( Song Yiming) : US$5,000 ++

The  differences   were immediately  obvious to him. He   described  the   steps  in  quality  as  "quantum leaps".

A lot more  to  say on this   subject ..... and  I daresay  I  will  get  some  flack    for  what I  have  written

In other  VMIPB news   I have   just   finished  scanning the  "New  CIPMA" (It's  actually  just  Ji School bottles :  price  RMB 398, 310 pages,  Chinese  only) . This was a  3  - day  job by the  time  I  had   got  every page  perfectly   scanned    straight  / cropped  and  then  re-categorized  each  artist's  work  into its  own  file  so as  to add to my  DB.  Nothing like  a   3-  day  scan/ crop / file  job  to  force  one to   look carefully  at  every  page and  bottle  pic, as I  have    said before!  A  quick 5  minute  flick through   can  never  give  justice to  definitive  reference  books  like  this.  Same  goes  for  the  original  CIPMA :  be  honest  with yourself -  have  you   really  spent  one  week   just  studying   every  artist and  his / her  works  in  CIPMA :  leaning  and  comparing  every  bottle with  others  in  its  peer  class ?  Same  goes   with   J.H. Leung's "New  Look"   ?   For that matter, have  you  ever looked  at every  single  bottle  pic  in Bill's   website, let alone  downloaded  it ?  I guess  not  because  we  all  tend to  use books  like  this  as  reference  books  only, not as  a  subject  worth   studying  in its  own  right.

But  study  is the  only way forward   regardless of  what one collects. Joey has  obviously  invested  his  time  wisely  in this  respect, which is  why  he can   write  so  definitively on  DB matters   which  he   has  studied (and  collected)  well over the  years.

I was   astonished to  see  in the  new   "CIPMA"  a  couple  of  new   Ji  artists  a few of  whose  early works  I  bought  in WXS's  Hengshui   Museum / Shop. Now these  artists  are  growing  up  ( e.g  Hou  Changyun).
I was  even more    astonished to see   a few of my  own bottles  in the  new "CIPMA"!   The  artists  had  obviously  chosen  pics  of their best works   from the  past   few  years  as  examples to   include  in the book,  and  I had  spotted  those  works   soon after they were  painted and  snapped them  up.  That  sounds a  little  cocky, I admit.   But  in my defense  I would   say that:

a) because  of past study  I was  very  certain that   immediately  I saw those  works I knew they were  something "special" and  would  go on to become   landmark  works
b) equally, because  I    recognized  those  works  as  landmarks, I was  willing to  pay  what  at that  time  were  for me  well -over -the odds  prices  based  on my limited  spending  budget ; but  since  then   those  bottles  have escalated  far beyond  anything I  could  ever  afford  now.

Anyway  - that's enough  rambling one  sunday  morning

Cheers
Peter

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:55:31 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:14:08 am »

Peter,
   Could you post the 'set of five bottles' ? It sounds amazing. I would love to see it, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
   And stop the false modesty; you ARE an expert in IPSBs of the period 1960 - 2014!
Best,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

rosegl

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »

Hi Georges..

I think some are much nicer than others..  One of our Members, Bill is spending time collecting these ( dated ) Shandong bottles in an effort to put together a historical timeline about them.

I think there is a point in about the 60' or 70's where there is a deffinate difference and we start to see many just like your yellow one above.. Then again a difference between the obvious Middle Period bottles.. 

Will be interesting to see what Bill comes up with down the road as he continues to acquire these and shares a historical timeling from his studies.. 

You must be talking about this recent bottle published..

yes, that's the one. I like it, also the reverse

Georges
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:04:55 pm »

George,
   That's actually quite a nice example.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George