About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 03:05:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

20140106/Peony bottle to share

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20140106/Peony bottle to share  (Read 675 times)
MikeChina

« on: January 06, 2014, 08:30:37 am »

Artist: Fu Li Hua 付丽华

* 20140106.jpg (243.08 KB, 435x709 - viewed 31 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:24:38 am »

A beautiful bottle Mike!!

How tall its?  i thought Fu lihua was a female artist when I saw his name.Smiley also his painting is very subtle, which made me think he is a female artist as well.Smiley

It looks like his wife is also a artist, isn't she?
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »

Dear Mike,
    I am not that enamoured of Flower paintings as a rule, but the subtlety and beauty of this painting is really something. Thank you for posting it.
    Something Steven wrote has spurred me to ask a question I was embarrassed to ask before, and please forgive me if it is in any way offensive, since I don't mean it to be offensive.
    Steven wrote that he had originally thought the artist Fu Lihua was a woman. I can't tell the difference between a masculine personal name and a feminine one in Chinese, except that I know Meiling means "Eternally Beautiful" and therefore is a woman's name.
    Are there masculine and feminine personal names in Chinese, or could any or almost any be 'unisex' (ie., used as either a boy's name or a girl's name)?
    In Hebrew, our names are very obviously masculine or feminine, or at least were till about 15-20 years ago, when people started arbitrarily making names 'unisex'.
    For example, Yosef, the Hebrew original transliterated as Joseph in English, can ONLY be a man's name, even today. Yosefa would be the female equivalent.
    Alon, which means 'Oak', was originally masculine, and Alona the feminine equivalent. Today, there are girls called Alon in Israel, even though it is a boy's name.
    Most traditional names in Hebrew still follow masculine/feminine lines, though I have heard of a girl name Levi, which was and still is, primarily a boy's name (a girl's version usually being Leviya).
    It is 'modern' names which, even though they've been around 40 or 50 years, and were originally on traditional lines,  are being converted to 'unisex' style. And I know of NO girls' names being used as boys' names; only boys' names being 'stretched' to accommodate girls...
For us, traditional names go back about 3,800 years...
   I look forward to explanations.
 Thank you.
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

MikeChina

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:20:13 pm »

How tall its?  i thought Fu lihua was a female artist when I saw his name.Smiley also his painting is very subtle, which made me think he is a female artist as well.Smiley

Fu is a female artist. She is 38 years old.
The bottle is 7.5cm tall or so, not including the stopper.
Report Spam   Logged
MikeChina

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »

Dear Mike,
    I am not that enamoured of Flower paintings as a rule, but the subtlety and beauty of this painting is really something. Thank you for posting it.
    Something Steven wrote has spurred me to ask a question I was embarrassed to ask before, and please forgive me if it is in any way offensive, since I don't mean it to be offensive.
    Steven wrote that he had originally thought the artist Fu Lihua was a woman. I can't tell the difference between a masculine personal name and a feminine one in Chinese, except that I know Meiling means "Eternally Beautiful" and therefore is a woman's name.
    Are there masculine and feminine personal names in Chinese, or could any or almost any be 'unisex' (ie., used as either a boy's name or a girl's name)?
    In Hebrew, our names are very obviously masculine or feminine, or at least were till about 15-20 years ago, when people started arbitrarily making names 'unisex'.
    For example, Yosef, the Hebrew original transliterated as Joseph in English, can ONLY be a man's name, even today. Yosefa would be the female equivalent.
    Alon, which means 'Oak', was originally masculine, and Alona the feminine equivalent. Today, there are girls called Alon in Israel, even though it is a boy's name.
    Most traditional names in Hebrew still follow masculine/feminine lines, though I have heard of a girl name Levi, which was and still is, primarily a boy's name (a girl's version usually being Leviya).
    It is 'modern' names which, even though they've been around 40 or 50 years, and were originally on traditional lines,  are being converted to 'unisex' style. And I know of NO girls' names being used as boys' names; only boys' names being 'stretched' to accommodate girls...
 Thank you.
Joey

Thank you, Joey! You let me know more about the names.
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:18:33 pm »

Thanks Mike,

I think I messed up with Leng hua and Fu lihua,  now its more clear now.
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:43:18 pm »

Dear Mike,
 Thank you.
Joey

Dear Joey,

Since you raised up the question by my comments, I am trying to explain it here, altho I am not any expert of names.

Yes, I will say there are masculine and feminine personal names in Chinese, like the name Fu lihua, Li丽 means beautiful,so it normally consider to be in feminine names. that is why I think Fu lihua is a female's name, and actually its.Smiley One of character Yong勇 in my name means brave , so its obvious a masculine name.

And same as In Hebrew, the modern names in China have a trend to 'unisex' style, maybe just like the fashion styles,  the girls tend to dress like the boys, and boys tend to dress like the girls.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:42:16 am »

Dear Steven,
    That is interesting.
    Is 'Li' (Beautiful) a synonym for 'Mei' (Beautiful)? Could Liling be used instead of Meiling?
And is the word for Handsome used as part of a boy's name?
In the US south, one may find 'Beauregarde' (Goodlooking, in French), or 'Beau', for short, as a man's name.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

MikeChina

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 04:51:36 am »

Thanks Mike,

I think I messed up with Leng hua and Fu lihua,  now its more clear now.

Leng Hua (冷华) is Fu Li Hua's (付丽华) husband.
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:40 am »

Dear Steven,
    That is interesting.
    Is 'Li' (Beautiful) a synonym for 'Mei' (Beautiful)? Could Liling be used instead of Meiling?
And is the word for Handsome used as part of a boy's name?
In the US south, one may find 'Beauregarde' (Goodlooking, in French), or 'Beau', for short, as a man's name.
Joey

Hi Joey,

Yes,  'Mei'美 and 'Li'丽 are synonym. also 'Mei li" 美丽 together is also means beautiful, Li ling could be good name as well, but its different name from' Meiling'.

And Yes, 'Jun'俊 or 'shuai'帅 means handsome, they used as part of boy's name a lot. also 'Gang' 刚 means tough, 'qiang' 强 means strong, which appears in boy's name very often..

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 08:27:35 am »

Hi  Mike

Is  Fu Lihua's  husband  Leng Hua  冷 华 or  Hua  Leng   华 冷

i.e.  is  his  family  name   Hua   or  Leng ? 

How old is  Hua Leng ( Leng Hua)  ?

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »

Dear Steven,
    Thank you for the information on personal names in Chinese. I had often wondered.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

MikeChina

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 05:26:30 pm »

Hi  Mike

Is  Fu Lihua's  husband  Leng Hua  冷 华 or  Hua  Leng   华 冷

i.e.  is  his  family  name   Hua   or  Leng ? 

How old is  Hua Leng ( Leng Hua)  ?

Cheers
Peter

Leng Hua   
Leng is his family name.
He is 38 years old.
We are good friends, of course , including Fu Li Hua.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: