About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 12:55:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

welcome all expert opinions and help...

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: welcome all expert opinions and help...  (Read 430 times)
DS_70
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:25:56 pm »

hi guys, I have a bottle here: stone(jade?) interior, with pearls of various sizes on the

outside. Any opinions & help on the bottle's material, age & value would be greatly

appreciated, thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:47:44 pm by DS_70 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:24:12 pm »

DS_70

This style of bottle is outside the area of my personal collecting interest.  I have seen a number of these pearl-encrusted bottles in the past at auction and in illustrated catalogs of snuff bottle collections.  At the Princeton University Art Museum, illustrated in the book “The Blair Bequest” by Michael Hughes, Lot 112, there is a pearl-encrusted bottle on glass with a dating of 1800-1900.  From the pictures provided the bottle body sort of looks organic (ex, ivory, bone, horn, etc.) or could be a celluloid material.  I would need clearer pictures to provide a better opinion. 

If I recall, the bottles seen in the past are encrusted with uncut natural pearls of irregular size and shape that a placed to contour with the bottle.  The split or cut pearls in this case seem a little artificial, which makes me suspect the bottle may be a later version imitating an older encrusted original. 

I’m sorry to say that’s all I can provide for now without better pictures.

Hopefully another here can add their experience and/or provide a better opinion as to the make and description of your bottle.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:08:11 pm »

All I can add is that the body looks to be mother of pearl, which is logical. I don't know how old it is, but suspect not very. If the pearls were natural, as opposed to cultured, that would be a very good sign it was older rather than newer.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

DS_70
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 05:18:49 pm »

thank you Charll & Joey for your help! I will edit the description to be

more accurate, I'll try to take some better pictures of the bottle's

body..

thanks again guys, I really appreciated it!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:49:36 pm by DS_70 » Report Spam   Logged
DS_70
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:55:01 pm »

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:48:27 pm by DS_70 » Report Spam   Logged
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »

DC_70,

Thanks for taking the time to provide more close-up photos.   It helps also that I am on a computer with a better monitor, but I still cannot make out the material base material of the bottle definitively.   Joey may be right that it is mother-of-pearl.   Given that there is no perceived ware, or discoloration, at the throat of the bottle that be expected with snuff use, nor is there any discoloration to the exterior paste around the pearls, I too tend to think this is a contemporary bottle (20th century).

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

DS_70
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:46:22 pm »

thank you Charll for your reply! I'm pretty sure it's stone but just

can't put my finger on which type of stone material Huh could it have

been a display piece? that would of explain it's lack of ware, just a guess..

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:49:01 pm by DS_70 » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: