About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:48:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

New Porcelain Bottle !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Porcelain Bottle !  (Read 1095 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: November 30, 2013, 05:09:35 am »

I also thought was going to have to part with this one, but turns out that it will be a keeper !

Thank you Steven for providing a description of the theme..

Mark on base is the pig Zhu bajie, and the theme is Pan si dong  盘丝洞 or Pan si cave, there are lots of spider witches living in the cave, and they all want to eat Tang Monk who is monkey king and the Pig's master, those ladies on the bottle are all the spider witches.

19th Century, and 3 1/8" tall..

For additional slide show pics..

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:35:43 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:18:40 pm »

Thank you George for showing this and Steven for the explication. I believe that it is a rare motif, I have never heard that before.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:31:31 pm »

Thank you George for showing this and Steven for the explication. I believe that it is a rare motif, I have never heard that before.
Giovanni

I am sure that I could have searched until blue in the face and never, ever would have found this theme... Very grateful that Steven recognized it !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »

Yes, I agree. Steven is a fountain of knowledge for some of the more obscure motifs. This one isn't in any of my reference books on Chinese stories and motifs.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:52:17 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:05:02 am »

I agree as well, but what is a 'Spider Witch'? The women on George's bottle just look to me like Chinese ladies...
Happy Hanuka,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:37:16 am »

Joey,

A spider/witch is a witch that believes themselves to be immortal if they eat the monk's flesh..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:53:22 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:48:24 am »

OK... but Gross!
    But I don't understand where the 'Spider' comes in. Is the witch actually a spider in body with a human head and extremities, or is the term spider referring to the witch's attitude?
    The Spider Witches illustrated on the bottle look like regular willowy Chinese ladies.
Joey
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:13:10 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:08:13 am »

I can only guess the connection is because of the cave being called the "silk" cave..

Perhaps there is a connection between silk spider webs, and the witches who live in the cave among the webs/spiders.. ?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:19:19 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:15:40 am »

Well, that sounds plausible. I thought that possibly they were spiders with human heads and hands.
Which actually sounds disgusting as well.
I  had typed in 'spider witches in Chinese culture' and found nothing.
Thanks,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 04:26:52 pm »

Joey,

Since I get to keep this bottle, it gave me a chance to use one of the beautiful spoons you sent me...

Not 100% sure yet if I like this particular stopper on this bottle though.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:59 pm »

OK... but Gross!
    But I don't understand where the 'Spider' comes in. Is the witch actually a spider in body with a human head and extremities, or is the term spider referring to the witch's attitude?
    The Spider Witches illustrated on the bottle look like regular willowy Chinese ladies.
Joey

Dear Joey,

Not sure how this discussion turns out to be that interesting, actually the spider witches are the spiders from the heaven, and they have spell magics to turn into human being and trick the Tang xuanzhang,  the Tang monk traveled to the "Western Regions" during the Tang Dynasty to obtain sacred texts , during the Journal he had to face all kind of tests the buddha gave him, spider witch in silk cave or twist silk cave are on of them, so there are all kind of witches in that fairy tale.Smiley

-George,

I don't know if there is any english version of picture books for the journal to the west,but when I was a kid, there are ,many versions of picture books for it.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:28 pm »

I don't know if there is any english version of picture books for the journal to the west,but when I was a kid, there are ,many versions of picture books for it.

George,

I assume this comment is referring to your post about a book of Journey to the West...

You may have to end up buying a pictorial Chinese language version to 'view' alongside the (non-illustrated) English version. A thought....  Wink
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:47:10 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 11:46:13 pm »

Steven,
    When I was a kid, I loved Horror and Science Fiction/Horror stories and movies. Then I got sick of it  (I believe around the time in 1969 that I watched "Night Of The Living Dead" in the cinema, and was scared sh-tless coming home after dark - I WAS 12!).
    I could not understand what "Spider Witches" were, and it bothered me. So if I understand this correctly, these are spiders from the next world, who take human form in this world, and are evil, and want to kill and eat the Monkey King. Gotcha...   Wink
Happy Hanuka!
Joey

OK... but Gross!
Joey

Dear Joey,

Not sure how this discussion turns out to be that interesting, actually the spider witches are the spiders from the heaven, and they have spell magics to turn into human being and trick the Tang xuanzhang,  the Tang monk traveled to the "Western Regions" during the Tang Dynasty to obtain sacred texts , during the Journal he had to face all kind of tests the buddha gave him, spider witch in silk cave or twist silk cave are on of them, so there are all kind of witches in that fairy tale.Smiley

-George,

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: