About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:01:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Stunning Overlay..

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stunning Overlay..  (Read 2463 times)
David

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:52 am »

Dear Joey,

Cheesy A jade imitating glass bottle... who would have thought of that?

Warmly,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 01:47:45 pm »

Yes, it is white jade melon bottle..

He felt that the applique was added to this Early to Middle 19th century bottle during the republic period or possibly even revolution period.

If I understood him correctly, his thought was that the applique was added in order to sell something which at the time wasn't considered all that special.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 03:39:37 pm »

Dear George,
    I'd date the bottle 1850-1890, and the applied decoration to 1960s/1980s, possibly a bit earlier.
 Before the 1960s, the craftsman would have cut out bits on the surface to at least partially insert
the pieces; he'd not have just glued them onto the surface.
    Best,
    Joey

Yes, it is white jade melon bottle..

He felt that the applique was added to this Early to Middle 19th century bottle during the republic period or possibly even revolution period.

If I understood him correctly, his thought was that the applique was added in order to sell something which at the time wasn't considered all that special.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 08:08:53 pm »

Dear George,

The embellishments using Lapis Lazuli, Carnelian and Jade look very nice. Why did your friend remove them?
Is it to do CSI or he wants to paste it in a nicer manner?

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 11:48:03 pm »

Dear George,

The embellishments using Lapis Lazuli, Carnelian and Jade look very nice. Why did your friend remove them?

Cheers,
YT

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1800.msg34391.html#msg34391
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 11:57:49 pm »

Dear George,

Your friend could be correct. I have enquired about an embellished white jade bottle and if the price will be inflated from the embellishment? The answer was no unless this work was done by a prominent workshop like the Tsuda family.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 02:25:12 am »

Dear George and YT,
      The Tsuda Family and other quality producers of 'Pietra Dura' work (embellishment of stone vessels or pieces with inlaid semi-precious stones) always took earlier bottles for their embellishing.
But they all definitely INLAID the decorative added materials into the base material.
     They didn't just glue it on. This work is post-1970 on a late 19th C. bottle. The earliest date I would give the bottle itself, is ca.1860, based on the photos.
Best,
  Joey

Dear George,

Cheers,
YT

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1800.msg34391.html#msg34391
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 02:59:11 am »

Here is a real nice one presently on eBay..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151604906872?rmvSB=true
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 04:18:45 am »

That looks like a very well embellished bottle. But how does the seller know it is Tsuda work? From the ones I have seen, they usually embellished onto slightly larger and better quality bottles.

I'll be interested to see what it sells for. A pity about the headless lady!
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 04:23:37 am »

You got me Tom..

I will send him a message and ask..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 04:42:15 am »

Guys, It is NOT Tsuda family work.
    Look at the 'headless lady'. In a piece of theirs, there would be a shallow, head-shaped indentation, where they had carved out the base material to inlay/inset the head. This bottle does not show that. 
    And anyway, the Tsuda family were based solely in Kyoto, NOT Tokyo. 
    The seller googled embellished work, and came up with the name Tsuda. And didn't even bother checking where they lived and worked. Or the person who sold the bottle to them, said "Tsuda Family, Japan" and the seller assumed Tokyo.
   Needless to say, the bottle is very nicely embellished, but post 1960s embellishment (before that, and I've seen a genuine Tsuda bottle with a cyclical date of 1955 inlaid in copper wire in a mother of pearl plaque), or possibly a bit earlier, but not as fine quality as genuine Tsuda piece.
   If the design was not inset into the base material, it CAN'T be Tsuda. They were real sticklers for doing it 'right'.
Happy Purim,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 05:16:35 am »

Dear Joey,

I really like the way you are still so serious after you mentioned the headless woman. Lol!!
Again you have pointed to an important detail and a warning for us not to bid the wrong bottle. Thanks.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:25 am »

Dear YT,
    I had thought to go for laughs, with a joke -
 "Interesting differences between American, Chinese and IS attitudes: Americans have the Headless Horseman (Ichabod Crane); the Chinese have a 'headless lady'; while IS are egalitarian, and behead everyone!".    Grin
   But a desire to educate won out. Wink
But don't lose your head over it (ie., stay away from Moslem terrorists!)!
Best,
   Joey

Dear Joey,

I really like the way you are still so serious after you mentioned the headless woman. Lol!!
Again you have pointed to an important detail and a warning for us not to bid the wrong bottle. Thanks.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 05:53:14 am »

But a desire to educate won out. Wink

Dear Joey,

"An education in indentation!" as Dr. Seuss might say....   Grin 

All best,
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 07:08:44 am »

Dear Tom,
    That's like the saying of Eliahu Dobkin, of blessed memory. He was a great collector of ancient glass, and gave his collection of over 1200 pieces to the Israel Museum. My parents and other friends contributed a number of fine pieces in his honour and later in his memory.
    He said that,"Ladies have a facination with patination!" (Patination was the effect of water etc., on ancient glass, giving it an iridescent look).  Cheesy
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:18 am »

Not that it really matters, but his response to my asking was, "There are many similar examples sold in big auction houses in the US . Have done some research ..."
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 11:24:59 am »

Thanks George.
   I'm 'really' impressed with his research - he didn't even know that the Tsuda family lived and worked in Kyoto!  Wink
Best,
 Joey

Not that it really matters, but his response to my asking was, "There are many similar examples sold in big auction houses in the US . Have done some research ..."
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: