About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:40:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Help with Identification of Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Identification of Bottles  (Read 736 times)
brensasian
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:18:20 am »

Hello All,  Was very happy to find this great forum.  I am new to collecting snuff bottles and need some help with information on these two bottles.  Any info would be appreciated.  They are both painted on the inside, front and back, with very detailed paintings of what seems to be, people traveling a road in the market, and the other scene has people working at various jobs.  The bottles themselves are very thick glass and measures about 3" by 1 1/2".  They have both been professionally framed in a shadow box.  I purchased them at a charitable store and was told they had been donated by a very rich and influential person. 

Thanks for your help!

* snuffbottletwoclosegood.jpg (517.1 KB, 600x843 - viewed 41 times.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:21:29 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:21:27 am »

Hi,
  I don't know your name or I'd greet you with it. I tried but was unable to enlarge your posted photo. Without being able to enlarge, it is very hard to make out the scene, etc.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

brensasian
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:30:00 am »

Hi Joey,  Thanks so much for the quick replay.  I clicked on the images and was able to enlarge them.  I did have to wait a bit for them to enlarge.  Please check them out again and let me know if you still have a problem and I will try to figure it out.

Thanks again.

Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:25:45 pm »

Hi Brenda,

Welcome to the Forum!

The reason Joey can't enlarge the pciture is because the image size is way too big, I have modified your image and repost it for you. Normally a photo with 600-800 px  width works better for viewers.

The bottle is not really painted bottle, its photo enhanced bottle, the outline is done by printing, altho the solid color is painted and filled in.

Steven
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:43:13 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »

Hi Brenda,
   Welcome to the Forum!
Joey

Steven,
  Thanks for assisting. Is this a copy of the QingMing Festival in Kaifeng, like the animated movie Richard posted?
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:43 pm »

The reason Joey can't enlarge the pciture is because the image size is way too big, I have modified your image and repost it for you. Normally a photo with 600-800 px  width works better for viewers.

Welcome Brenda, and thank you Steven...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
brensasian
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:18:24 pm »

Thanks for helping with the pics Steven and the info.  I suppose my first attempt at buying snuff bottles was not so good in that they are probably not of any value and common?  I could not examine them closely because they were in the frame. 

Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
brensasian
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:10 pm »

Joey,  It looks like you are right - I am including a link to a site which custom paints Quing Ming festivals - http://www.goodorient.com/Snuff_Bottle_With_Inside_Painting---Riverside_Scenes_At_the_Qing_Ming_Festival_P25626.  Also, the bottle shown at the website is shaped like those I have.  Good memory and observation on your part.

Many, many thanks!

Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:51:49 pm »

Dear Brenda,
welcome to the forum. Yes it is part of the scene of the famous painting of the QingMing Festival, but unfortunately the contour lines are printed as pointed out by Steven.
For your reference, here is a better painted bottle with the same motif:
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1154.0.html
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:41 pm »

Dear Brenda,
    We all have stories of the ones which should have got away, but didn't!
Your first attempt is no worse than that of many other collectors. Keep them as a reminder to look before you leap, in future.
The trick is to study, by viewing collections (in museums and private), read books, and train your eye to recognise good to best quality and reject the poor quality.
  Good luck! It is a great journey you are starting out on...
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: