About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 03:26:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ivory Snuff Bottle with Micro-Calligraphy

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ivory Snuff Bottle with Micro-Calligraphy  (Read 344 times)
kjennings12

« on: August 17, 2013, 09:39:39 am »

An interesting ivory snuff bottle with tiny calligraphy. I believe it dates to the Republic period, circa 1940.

Best regards,
Keith

* 64742.jpg (15.54 KB, 397x450 - viewed 18 times.)

* 64743.jpg (20.31 KB, 438x500 - viewed 19 times.)

* 64744.jpg (42.51 KB, 526x640 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:50:49 am »

OK Keith,

It is obvious that you’ve been collecting oriental for some time, and appear to have a great eye.  Your selection of bottles thus far whether it be old or more contemporary is quite good.  All the bottles you’ve shown I would love to have, except the red lacquer.   Even it’s a great looking bottle with age, I just don’t care for red lacquer bottles much.  Thanks for share a portion of your wonderful collection.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

kjennings12

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:14:41 pm »

Hi Charll,

Thank you, I was raised in an antique store and like collecting and selling. I never wanted a brick & mortar store; the internet & ebay have opened doors I would have never thought possible 20 years ago. I like some of the quality contemporary bottles I have seen on the internet, but never see them around here, only badly crafted modern bottles and old ones occasionally.

Cheers,
Keith
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:43:22 pm »

You sure do have a wonderful variety of bottles shared with us Keith ...

This one is no exception.

Really nice !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:59:19 am »

Hi Keith,

This type of micro-calligraphy became popular on snuff bottles in the early 1900s. One of its foremost exponents was Zhou Honglai (aka Hongbin and Yangpin), who was active from around 1900 to 1930. He specialized in working on milk-white glass bottles, which is of course far trickier than working on ivory. Micro-incising ivory snuff bottles and snuff dishes has a much wider date range, starting in the late 1800s and continuing up to the present time. From the style and quality of your bottle, I would say your dating of 1940 is probably correct, although it could possibly be from the 1960s.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: