About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 06:18:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Mark & Period Guangxu Charger

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark & Period Guangxu Charger  (Read 1136 times)
kjennings12

« on: August 16, 2013, 02:48:33 pm »

Yesterday, I found this fine mark & period famille rose (fencai) charger, the center decorated in pale green with a formal foliate lotus medallion in the well, around the cavetto are the ribbon-tied biajixiang, the "Eight precious things", all enclosed within gilt borders, the exterior of the rounded sides are painted with three foliate sprays. Late Qing Dynasty, Guangxu, possibly Imperial. 44.5 cm

Keith

* IMG_1811.JPG (492.25 KB, 1029x1042 - viewed 20 times.)

* IMG_1833.JPG (359.28 KB, 1161x1154 - viewed 13 times.)

* IMG_1838.jpg (85.93 KB, 626x811 - viewed 11 times.)

* IMG_1816.JPG (512.52 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 15 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:55:54 pm »

Hello Keith,
I am Giovanni, from Gotheborg! What are you doing here? Smiley Smiley
Ha ha, it is a pleasure to have you here, I am sure you will like to be here. There are other Gotheborgers too.
It is not clear to me why you have posted your chrger here and not on Gotheborg.
I have missed your previous posts, will search for them.
Kind regards, and welcome!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:42:51 pm »

Hi Giovanni,

I was just excited about finding it and compulsively posted it Smiley I am happy to be here with old friends!

Cheers,
Keith
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:16:57 pm »

Dear Keith,

Thank you for sharing this, its very impressive guanxu period charger. You are right, its possible imperial.

Congratulations!!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:30 am »

Hi Keith,

A beautiful example. Thanks for sharing.

Although not a snuff bottle, you may be forgiven for posting it on grounds of excitement and compulsiveness. (Most of us here know the feeling  Wink )

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:00:02 am »

Dear Keith,
I see the excitement and understand it very well, because the quality of your charger is exceptional. I don't know if it is Imperial or not, but surely a top class piece. Look at the glaring difference with a similar charger that I had, which I have sold some years ago. No game against your one!
Kind regards
Giovanni

* front.JPG (49.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 14 times.)

* embl2.JPG (47.17 KB, 640x480 - viewed 16 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:42:51 am »

Dear Giovanni,

I am not very knowledgeable about Imperial wares and would not have added the word "Imperial" at all, except Mike Vermeer had a pair of dishes with a similar pattern on his website, described as imperial - http://www.vermeer-griggs.com/gallery/fr/fr_gu_513.htm

Best regards,
Keith
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 09:27:37 am »

It is quite beautiful. Love seeing this charger!   Again welcome to the Forum.  I am fairly new collector, yet very passionate about beautiful snuff bottles.  I live in NC on a farm in Johnston County and have a get away in Beaufort. 
Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 11:47:34 am »

Hi Joe,

We use to go to Hunting Island and rent one of the beach cabins, have not been there in years though, I really like Beaufort, nice town. Now we stay on St. Simons Island whenever we go anywhere. We live just east of Asheville, if you are ever up this way we should get together and have a chat.

Cheers,
Keith
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:38 pm »

I love that there is another Snuff Bottle Lover in NC!!!!  We will have to keep in touch.  Asheville is a beautiful area, actually saw my first snuff bottle at Brunks Auction  in Ashville 3 years ago.  Have not been the same since.  Glad you are a part of the forum!  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 08:08:57 am »

Hi Jo,

I go to Brunks occasionally to handle and look at the fine Chinese pieces they get, they have been known to make some serious errors in dating Chinese works, but they get beautiful pieces too. I don't buy there because the prices they command are usually to high for me, or I'm to cheap! Let me know whenever you are headed this way and we'll get a beer.

Keith
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »

Understand exactly what you are saying about Brunks.  Sounds as if you are a wise shopper,will let you know if we are in the area! Nice to have you aboard.  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »

Keith,
    Your Guangxu is superb, and I have no problem believing an Imperial attribution.
Gorgeous!
    I didn't understand why you were posting it here, at first. But I think G-D Arranged it so we'd have the pleasure of seeing such a fine example of enamelled porcelain!
Thank you! (G-D, I've already thanked.)
Joey
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:20:37 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: