About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 01:22:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Cloisonne Bottle from Hong Kong

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloisonne Bottle from Hong Kong  (Read 1057 times)
Mandarin
Private Boards

« on: June 24, 2013, 06:52:38 am »

Here's a cloisonne bottle that was bought in the mid 1960's from Yee Wo's shop in Hong Kong. Can anyone tell me anything about it, e.g. how old it is and who the maker might be? Thanks!
Vaughan 

* Cloisonne 1.JPG (58.15 KB, 640x480 - viewed 91 times.)

* Cloisonne 2.JPG (57.47 KB, 640x480 - viewed 73 times.)

* Cloisonne 3.JPG (56.64 KB, 640x480 - viewed 83 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »

Vaughan,

This is a good quality cloisonne bottle and is very collectable.  As to age, it was likely produced within a few years of your purchase.  In addition to myself, I've noticed that some very fine cloisonne bottles have been produce in the last half of the 20th century.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:09:37 pm »

Thanks Charll for your input.Smiley

I just can't put my finger on it, its very hard to ID those good qualtiy cloisonne bottles, I would say the qualtiy is good enough to compare those geniune bottles from Qianlong period, especially the carved mark looks really good.

BTW, how tall the bottle its? my impression is the real qianlong period bottles are smaller than later 20th copies, most of geniune pieces I have seen from Qianlong are 6-7cm, but copies are 8-9 cm , that should not be a rule to ID a bottle, but its good to know the side, btw, when I first got into the cloisonne collections, I was told the dots or bubbles( tiny holes) on enamel is a sign for old enamel, until early 20th, the craftman start to make the cloisonne without the bubbles and dots on enamel, before that, the technique is not ready to do that, but certainly it can be fake with those dots later on..

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Mandarin
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:52:08 am »

Thanks Charll, Steven for your comments, much appreciated as ever. Steven, the bottle is 58mm high, 42mm wide, 22mm deep.
Vaughan
Report Spam   Logged
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:45:21 pm »

Dear Vaughan,

i will share over the next few posts a few Cloissone bottles in my collection.

Inn Bok
Singapore

* 185.JPG (105.74 KB, 478x640 - viewed 68 times.)

* 186.JPG (122.27 KB, 478x640 - viewed 58 times.)

* 187.JPG (92.9 KB, 478x640 - viewed 54 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:51:58 pm »

Vaughn,
    I agree with Steven and Charll, that your bottle is most probably mid-20th C. or a bit later.
But that incised mark DOES look really good.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: