About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 12:58:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Multiple copies of the same bottle by inside painted artists

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple copies of the same bottle by inside painted artists  (Read 2793 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 15, 2011, 08:48:49 pm »

Hi  again for the  last  time  this morning  in HK,

My   reply to  Pat  was   this:

"Sad  but  true.  But there's not  much  we can do  about  it. Just   live  with  it and   be aware  of  the  possibility   that  what we  think  is  an  original  unique  bottle   may  be   just  one  of a series  which the  painter has  painted  over his lifetime.  Some  signed , some  unsigned"

In fact   have  several   more  examples  of this   multiple  copy   phenomenon that are  very interesting, and  I will post  them  in the next  few days. But  my classic case is  certainly  Jiang  Hongliang's   Red Sun 

My theory  is that  there  are  three  kinds  of  multiple  copies :

a)  "practice" versions  of a  bottle  which   the   artist  sells  off unsigned    to  the   general   market  just to    earn  some  money  to  survive the  next month

b) "Improved"    official /  signed   versions, after  the  artist  has  scored a  hit  with  the   first   official  / signed  bottle  when  he finally showed  it at an exhibition and maybe   even won a   prize ( =  certificate  of  recognition)

I guess  (   just guess)  it's sometimes  more  satisfying to  repeat  an  earlier   work  and try to make  it  even better   than to  create a new work , given that a large  part of the effort  in  painting an IPB  is  the   skill  involved 

c)  A collector  asked the   artist to    paint  another  copy  of  a bottle  which  he ( the  collector)  saw  in a  book;   eg  both Bill and  I at different   times  asked   one particular  young   Hengshui  artist  to  paint  us   a  copy  of a beautiful  bottle  we  both saw  in    CIPMA  (  "Chinese  Inside Painting  of the  Modern  Age"  edited  by  Wang  Xisan ,  2005  * )   

In this  case the bottle  may   either  be a  perfect  copy,  or it may  be  a  copy  "in the  spirit" of the  orginal  with some  additional  flourishes at the  artist's  discretion .  In Bill's case I think   he   asked this artist to  paint  two  CIPMA-published   "front  face"  pictures  onto  a new  bottle,  one  on  side  A   and one on side   B of the  new   " copy" bottle .

And  of course  there's the case   that another  young artist   just  copies the  work of a  Master  and  sells  it  off  unsigned  to  earn  some  pocket money.  It   takes a very  discerning eye to  spot a   fake  copy, as  was the case  of  my Sun Honglin's    "Stormy Sea"  copy  - although  in that  case the  copy  was  at least signed.

Please  understand  that  I am still  a   rookie   collector and the  more  I  learn   the more  I realise   I  have to  learn, so  I could  be  100%  wrong  in what  I wrote  above.  Corrections   therefore  gratefully  accepted and  noted  !

At this  point  I  turn this  new string  over to the  Forum members  for  contributions

Cheers  Peter  @  HK   (  09.45 saturday  morning  over  here )

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: