About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 01:26:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Multiple copies of the same bottle by inside painted artists

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple copies of the same bottle by inside painted artists  (Read 2801 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 15, 2011, 08:24:30 pm »

Hi Yet  again

( BTW  :  it seems  the  Forum  software  chopped  off the   beginning of the    pic  titles  in my last post  about  Red  Sun
 The    1st and   2nd  pics  were  my Red  Sun , and the   3rd was Bill's  Red Sun.  I   suspect the   lighter  colors  of Bill's    version were  caused  by  photography conditions)

After  my Red  Sun posting, Pat  posted this  comment :

"Well...high horse..hobby horse.. betting horse, whatever.  This is a practice that royally pisses me off (and if my wallet combined with my trust gets involved.. hm.. not a good idea).   I think these people/artists/skilled craftspeople should at least make an honest attempt to track their 'copies' or repeated subjects, like lithographs indicated copy x/of xxx AND be truthful and honest about it, AND state where to got their inspiration, idea, copy from (a common practice with the old-er masters).

It is NO coincidence that you see hundreds of books of pictures and paintings owned and used by these people (as evidenced by pics of just one of these 'artists'.  You see the same with regular 'painters' allover Asia, who are often very good, but not necessarily original.  A commisioned copy of a piece of art you like is one thing, but to think you are buying an original or unique item is another.  Often it starts as a copy and it keeps on being copied, we just never know about it until we find out, by accident or by fate.  Considering the prices these modern artists are starting to command, they owe us at least that.  Without that it is skill and craft, NOT art.  Sorry...   Pat"

Cheers  Peter  (  just one more posting to come...)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: