About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 10:58:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A few IP bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few IP bottles  (Read 327 times)
musicsurf
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:51:45 am »

So, with the responses that the enamel over glass bottles I posted are newer, I decided to hold off on posting the other three as I am sure they are as well. Here are a few of the inside painted bottles that were in the small collection. What do you guys think? Also, there are some smaller bottles in more of a vase form. Do these serve a different purpose? With how thin they are and the flared mouths, it seems impractical for them to be used as snuff bottles. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:14:50 am »

Hi Michael..

These are all modern, late 20th Century..

The other vase like containers could be jarlets or perhaps tea caddies..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:12:07 pm »

Michael,
  What height are the ones with very thin walls? If they are 'snuff bottle size' (from 12 mm - 100 mm; or 1/2 inch to 4 inches), they might be from  Shantou (Swatow in Wade Giles), which was famous for very thin walled snuff bottles and vases, etc.
  Doesn't make them more valuable or better; just different.
  As I wrote to Peter in a different thread, we all start out very cautiously, and make mistakes. Then one tends to luck out, and get a few bargains, and gets more ambitious re.better quality bottles, usually by spending larger amounts of cash.
   Good luck in your collecting.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: