About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 10:41:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Bought a bottle for my sister.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought a bottle for my sister.  (Read 1419 times)
Ruthven
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:12:16 am »

Hi, me again with more questions  Smiley

A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a bottle as a present for my sisters birthday. As she had a little fat brown and white pony when we were kids I bought her this one as it looked rather like her old pony.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370576088087?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D370576088087%26_rdc%3D1

It has arrived and I really like it...  Cheesy  The down side is I am going to have to hand it over to her and not keep it as I told her I had ordered it!   Sad

Could someone please translate what it says on the bottle for me?  Has anyone any idea why it would have so many seals on the bottle?   is Yi Pin Tang (as per the description)  an area in China or a painting school?

Thank you in advance.

Frances
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:03:23 pm »

Hi Frances,

Nice looking bottle! If I were you, I will keep if for myself.Smiley

If you know a little bit chinese traditional painting, you can see the painting is not the chinese style at all, its a Western painting style.

The painting is a copy of old painting from the famous italian painter Giuseppe Castiglione‎ who painted for chinese emperors for 50 years in his whole life. that is why there are some seals on the bottle.

Yi Pintang is a studio name, I would guess its from a independant artist.

Steven

* 200891713924112.jpg (49.61 KB, 459x413 - viewed 30 times.)

* 200891713925738.jpg (49.28 KB, 476x395 - viewed 26 times.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:05:09 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

deelsb26

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:06:53 pm »

nice bottle francis, I like the horse...ya next time wait till ya get one you want to give away ha...but your sister will love it I'm sure.
Danna
Report Spam   Logged

Danna
Ruthven
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:22:10 pm »

Thank you,

Yes I saw it was western style, but didn't realise that it was a copy of a well known artist.  Yes I am sure my sister will love it,  and for next Christmas I will find her another one.  Once she has two bottles she might just decide to start collecting them for herself! Grin Grin

But next time I think I will keep quiet until I see how much I like the bottle before handing it over!
 Grin
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:25:44 pm »

Nice bottle !  Your Sister will love it !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:39:23 am »

But next time I think I will keep quiet until I see how much I like the bottle before handing it over!

Hi Frances,

Good policy for next time. We live and learn!  Cheesy
And it IS a very attractive bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

hlbb

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:17:58 pm »

I wonder if the other masterpiece by Giuseppe Castiglione was being copied to the IP as well.  By that I mean the 10 handsome dogs (十骏犬图) series.

The originals are in Taipei Palace Museum.  I remember I bought the complete set of stamps issued by Taiwan Postal Office when I was around 10 years old.  They are still in one of my stamp albums somewhere in the basement.  To me the dogs is a much better set of paintings than the horses - dog was not a subject that was wildly covered by traditional Chinese painters, and Catiglione did it so well!

Here is an example:

Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:40 am »

I wonder if the other masterpiece by Giuseppe Castiglione was being copied to the IP as well.  By that I mean the 10 handsome dogs (十骏犬图) series.

Walter,

I believe the answer is 'yes' in regard to the 10 dogs.  Bellow is a series of the 10 dogs that is currently listed on ebay for $1200 for the 5 bottles set.  I've seen this series done a few times over the last few years.

Charll

* 10 dogsA.JPG (75.28 KB, 800x356 - viewed 33 times.)

* 10 dogsB.JPG (69.68 KB, 800x365 - viewed 34 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Steven

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:45:40 am »

Thanks Charll and Walter for sharing!

The famous 10 dogs were copied a lot on IP bottles, we can see them from Joey's 'worlds in  a bottle' c18-c21, all are copies of the dogs, one by Ye family, one by Wang xisan and a set by Qiu shi and one bottle by Zheng shikui, I like the c21 painted by Zheng shikui the most.Smiley

Steven
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:49:47 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:30 am »

Frances,
   Castiglione's Chinese name was Lang Shi-ning ( pronounced Lang Shih Neeng).

Steven,
   The Zheng Shikui is 20th C., not 21st. ( undated, but ca.1984-1996).

Best,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

hlbb

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:50:21 am »

Thank you all for enlightening the ignorant  Grin.  I have a lot to catch up with.

I also realize I had posted the wrong picture, it was not in the Ten Fine Hounds (the official Taiwan name) series.

Also an interesting observation: on the ebay bottles I saw a couple of large seals.  At first I thought this is not surprising given the fact that Qianlong was the patron of Castiglione - and Qianlong is famous for putting his hideous chops on everything he could get his hand on - old masterpiece landscapes, calligraphies and jade objects (he actually had the court artisians craved his seal on a jade sword one time!).  Then I take a look at the image of the actual paintings and saw that they were actually quite "clean". (http://www.manresa-sj.org/stamps/3_Castiglione_2.htm)  

That get me thinking: what is the motivation for the IP artist to paint those seals?  I cannot see clearly what characters are on these seals but they do not look like the artist's personal seal. They are put outside of the flow of the calligraphy.
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:02:01 am »

Steven,
   The Zheng Shikui is 20th C., not 21st. ( undated, but ca.1984-1996).

Dear Joey,

I was trying to say page C-21 on your book, not 21st.Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:04:50 am »

Whoops, Steven!
  You are correct. It is C-21 in "Worlds".  Cheesy
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]