About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 02:02:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Helllo from Sussex England

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Helllo from Sussex England  (Read 914 times)
Ruthven
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »

Just a quick hello.

I have been interested in snuff bottles for a few years now, mostly the inside painted ones as I think they are such wonderful little works of art.

I only have a few, around 20 or so mostly picked up in second-hand shops and boot sales and suchlike, but I did treat myself to a wonderful chicken/rooster one a year or so back from Ebay that was beautifully painted. And now I have been looking around again I have succumbed to buying another bottle I saw on Ebay which I thought was a bit differently painted than the usual landscapes ( it hasn't arrived yet  )

I only buy ones that I like and have never had to spend a lot of money on them. but I notice they do seem to be going up in price as more people over here in the UK become aware of them.

Frances

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:48:15 pm »

Welcome to the Forum, Frances.
   I also concentrate on IPSBs (as we shorten the name on the Forum), which I keep in my Jerusalem home (I live 8 months a year in Israel, and  3+ out of the other 4 months in my Irish home in north County Wexford, where I keep my Blue & White porcelains and white nephrite jades.). I also have roughly 200+ Chinese artworks (scrolls, fans, etc.), with subject matter which matches up with the bottles in Israel.
  How far are you from Bristol?
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

deelsb26

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »

welcome Frances, I have been collecting IPSB since last fall, and have learned alot. ebay can be a fun place, my suggestion on ebay, buy what you like, and can afford, if it is worth something great, if it is not a true good piece, if you like it, that is what counts. There are good sellers on ebay, and some that sell items that are not good quality.

You will find guys with here with a lot of knowledge, and very helpful.
We look forward to you being here.
Danna
Report Spam   Logged

Danna
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:51:28 pm »

Warm welcome Frances... !

Glad you found us ..  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:23:40 am »

Hi Frances,

Welcome to the forum. If you are hooked on snuff bottles, you've come to the right place!
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:26:26 am »

Welcome on board, Frances !

Regards,

Inn Bok
Singapore
Report Spam   Logged

Ruthven
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:07:06 am »

Thank you for the welcome :-)

Joey,

I am quite a distance from Bristol, but my brother lives there.

I love Ebay, but am well aware of the fact that it is a case of buyer beware, I dithered for ages before buying a bottle from China a year or so back but it was so pretty I felt I had to go for it, and was really pleased when it arrived as it was even nicer than I thought it would be. As the one I have ordered is from the same seller I hope it will be as nice.

Sadly as I don't read Chinese I have no idea what is said on any of my bottles. For all I know the writing could be adverts for dubious  internet websites rather than actual signatures!  Grin Grin  Although from what I read here signatures can be rather a minefield.

I will try to upload some photos and hope someone here might be able to enlighten me what mine say.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:20 am »

Hi  Frances

Welcome !

Joey  only  mentioned  Bristol  because  that's  where  I  originally  hail  from, but  I  have  lived  in Hong  Kong and  worked  in China  for the  past  30 +  years

I  encourage  you  to study   VMIPBs  on the  various   websites  (  start  with   www.snuffbottlecollector.com)  and   gradually  build  your  collection

Yes, prices  are  going  up.....

Cheers
Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:54:36 am »

Actually, Peter, I mentioned Bristol because, until you had to change your travel dates, I was looking forward to meeting you and Vaughn there on 28.Apr., and thought to invite Frances as well, if she was relatively near.
  Joey
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:14:52 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 01:26:27 am »

Hi  Joey

After  my  Father   died   all my travel plans   got changed.

I have  now  confirmed  9 - 23.4  (leaving  24.4)   in Bristol,  except  that  from  about    12- 21.4  I  will  take  my  Mother  to  stay  with  my  brother  and his  family  in  far South West  Wales.

Thus  I'm  in Bristol  9 - 12.4  and  22-23.4 .

I will be  back to  Bristol  mid-late  May,  but  dates  not  yet  fixed

My  UK  mobile  number  is  07787-365-242  and  I'm on email  every  day  while  in UK

Cheers
Pete
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:20:50 am »

Dear Peter,
     I'm so sorry to hear about your father!
 And I was writing you just a few days ago, about how lucky you were to have both parents still with you. I lost my father of blessed memory 16 years ago , and my mother of blessed memory 8 1/2 years ago. I still miss them greatly.
    May your father's memory be for a blessing.

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: