About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 05:51:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

interesting?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: interesting?  (Read 616 times)
deelsb26

« on: November 29, 2012, 11:09:05 pm »

Here is a bottle offered from Bulgaria...thought it might be interesting to discuss. I like the painting...unusual scene, and it is in a presentation box...too much for my pocketbook, but just wondering what anyone thinks of this one.
Danna

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-scarce-Chinese-inside-hand-painted-glass-snuff-bottle-in-presentation-case-/130667395341?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item1e6c62390d
Report Spam   Logged

Danna

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:30:45 am »

I can't say that I care for the painting.. , but nice bottle just the same.

Will be interesting to know the artist.. Waiting for the pro's to chime in !  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:16:46 am »

Dear Danna,
in my opinion you should stay away from that seller. He is selling bottles at very high price, but in my opinion most them are not valuable.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:27:11 am »

Dear Danna,
in my opinion you should stay away from that seller. He is selling bottles at very high price, but in my opinion most them are not valuable.
Giovanni

I see what you mean... Here are his other current bottles..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:13:54 am »

Dear Danna,

I agree with Giovanni and George,

the price is way off altho the bottle is fairly good, painted by a modern artist ' Yun chuan' , and size is too big. I would think the value is less than $200.00 or even less.
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:48:07 am »

Dear Donna,

Take a look on this seller, he does have some very attractive bottles on sell, the starting price is very low, and seems there is no many followers as well, even I am thinking bid on a couple of.

I guess they are from student bottles, but well done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINESE-GLASS-SNUFF-BOTTLE-INSIDE-PAINTED-/200854661779?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item2ec3deea93

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »

Dear Danna,

I agree with all that has already been said, especially about avoiding this "fishing for suckers" seller.  I just wanted to add this photo from his "19th C.Chinese hand carved Cherry Amber Snuff bottle" listing.  It shows you a modern molded fake made of reconstituted amber.  They gather up small bits and scraps from carving and they melt it and mold it like plastic.  

* Amber Bottle 06.0cmH caSz Nov12eBay Bulgaria1.jpg (84.43 KB, 772x878 - viewed 5 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 01:54:12 pm »

I guess they are from student bottles, but well done.

I saw those to Steven.. There are a couple of pretty nice ones
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
deelsb26

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:33:44 pm »

welll, i appreciate your comments...I thought it was way out of line price wise, and his other bottles are also...wasn't contemplating buying from him, but thought the way he was presenting it was unusual...but alas, I think I am learning, as I agree with all of you  Smiley
Thanks, Danna
Report Spam   Logged

Danna
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47:16 pm »

I do not know if this is the right place to post this. I have earlier posted the same in another section under organic materials. I am copying the same for any response :

Re: Organic Material / Snuff Bottle Examples
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:33:37 am » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just visited this post. On the Organic material bottle, tortoise shell has been used for the bottles.
I dig up my old copy of a booklet entitled " Chinese Snuff Bottles " - Documentation of World Trade
West to East. ( published by the Oakland Musuem ). It contained a photo of a tortoise-shelled snuff
bottle with an inside painting of Abraham Lincoln ! Has anyone seen another one  -  i am curious to see
another example if any one has it.

i would like to know how to paste the page in the booklet once I scan it. Anyone to coach me ? thanks.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:10:22 pm »

Hi Inn Bok,

when you scan the booklet, you should have save it as a .Jpg file.
Then when you start a thread, there is a additional options underneath the typing window, click it, you will see the attach option, click " choose file" button, and select the file you want to post, then click " post".

Please scale down your file with no more than 1200 px wide, then its readable but not oversized.

Steven

* Capture.JPG (28.18 KB, 979x273 - viewed 10 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:33:08 am »

Thank you Steven. I will give it a try  this weekend. Smiley
Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 12:02:28 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,
  There is a big problem with tortoise shell bottles. The material is prohibited for export, import or trade, unless with a SCITES  (S.pecial C.onvention on I.nternational T.rade in E.ndangered S.pecies) certificate.
  I've seen two or three of those bottles with IP on a tortoiseshell bottle; they are not well painted since it is hard to see into the material; they were done during the 1960s/1970s; they are a problem due to the SCITES issue; not a bottle you would really want to waste money on; Abraham Lincoln wasn't on any hit parade of Chinese leaders I ever.
  Gen Prlain, a dear friend of mine, and in charge of the Oakland Museum snuff bottle collection, admits that they should not have accepted the 'Abe Lincoln tortoiseshell' into the museum's collection. But the late Helen Pritchard loved it; G-D knows why?!; and so it was included.
  Honestly, not a bottle you want to waste your time on.
Best
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: