About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 10:52:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Consider the Artists ! Not just your collection and wallet !

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider the Artists ! Not just your collection and wallet !  (Read 2104 times)
snuffbottlecollector

« on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:20 am »

Great write Peter ... and you know I share your sentiments 100%. Once you meet and know these artist they become a second family. When I admire my bottles I see a face in many of them; the face of the artist. Early in my collecting I wanted to have a name and bio of the artist whenever I could get it. Now that I have the daughter and cousin of some of those painters living in my house, who I proudly call "my daughter", it is impossible to forget the people who create these wonderful works. My desire is to get them better prices for their work because I know how they live in order to pursue the art they love.

A couple of years ago when I presented an abbreviated version of my DVD at the International Chinese Snuff Bottle Society meeting in Boston, I stated that I was more concerned about preserving the future of this art than its past. While the past is important and I appreciate historical bottles, I am astounded at the progress and inventiveness of the Modern School. Not content with the works of their predecessors, they have experimented and invented with every element of this art; the bottles, the types of paint, the brushes. In my opinion, their results are unparalleled. Yes, some modern bottles are expensive, certainly by e-bay standards, but where else in the art world can you buy works by the world's best at prices this affordable.

I am a retired public school teacher from, of all places, Kentucky, where horses and basketball, not Chinese art rule. Obviously it doesn't matter where you live or what your income ... you can make a difference in the lives of these artists and in the promotion and encouragement of this art. Show your collection proudly ... with the hands, the eyes and the heart of the creator of these works in mind.

Bill
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: