About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 15, 2024, 11:52:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Consider the Artists ! Not just your collection and wallet !

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider the Artists ! Not just your collection and wallet !  (Read 2118 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:18 am »

Just commenting on Peter and George's posts.  We all have different ways and preferences, styles to collect.  I found myself to be a 'hoarder' because I established my collection from different places and for the past 16 years have been moving in-between Asia and Europe, and at one time actually lived and worked in 3 places at the same time (yes I am crazy TOO).  This is NOT necessarily my chosen option, and so it affected my collecting style.

However, I love to 'trade' or 'swap', up or down, and at one point my point of departure will be that ANY part or piece of my IP collection will be up for sale (not in a traditional sense) or trade in some sense, if someone likes my bottle(s) more than I do and thus gives it greater 'value' than I do, either in monetary terms or 1 for 1 or 1 for multiple trade/swap.

Similarly, I think I will also 'clean' house or 'collection' to make room for other, more expensive, rarer, more beautiful, etc. pieces.

This is not to contradict anything that was said earlier, but to add to it, and to highlight the differences in collecting philosophy.

Some buy to collect, own and keep
Others buy to invest and trade/sell
Some actually have a 'number' items limit
Others have a specific niche, either all or majority

I keep finding myself going in between all 4 options, but have centered on older first/any category and newer/landscape type bottles.

And frankly, IF I dont trade/sell down or up, I am the kind of guy to wind up with a few thousand bottles one day.  Not a reasonable option, considering fragility and space requirements (although for snuff bottles this is one of the easiest arts/craft forms to collect and still have many items...)

Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: