About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 08:46:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Underglazed Blue and Copper Red Designs

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Underglazed Blue and Copper Red Designs  (Read 12252 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 05:16:58 pm »

Dear Charll,
what a strange bottle. The copper red is particularly well fired, but the white has a strange yellowish tone. It has the same looking of yellowed varnish, but it doesn’t seems that it has been restored. I share what already said by others regarding the shape of the neck, and I think that Joey is right about the decoration on the neck, that is highly unusual. I would also say that the butterflies too are very unusual. I pay great attention to the butterflies because I continue wondering why butterflies are never realistically painted in Chinese art (at least I have never seen one). Said that, I think that I have never seen the butterfly as seen in your bottle. Usually they have long and very thin legs, not so short as we see on your bottle. So I am not sure about dating. I would agree with Joey, although the base looks older.
I did look at the site of your link. The dragon bottle is really superb!! But the description of the lot is funny:
“The third bottle is painted with a mounted horseman and bears a spurious Youngzhen Mark but is not Ming Dynasty, it was created during the Qing Period”. I didn’t know that Yongzheng were a Ming Emperor.Smiley Unless, instead of Yongzheng, they really meant Youngzhen as they has written. If so, who was Young Zhen? Did he later become Old Zhen?Smiley
Seriously speaking now, they are selling a famille verte dish as being genuine Kangxi but it is clearly not, it is a Guangxu dish in Kangxi style IMO.
With this I am not saying that he is not an honest seller, he is just wrong.
Dear Tom and all, please excuse my absence. I am still here, but very busy so I just have a quick look at the site late in the night before to go to sleep. I am busy for many reasons, one of them being that I start to sell some stuffs on ebay and guys, that takes a lot of time! I was not expecting that. I did start to sell something because I have too much things and for fund raising. Anyway yesterday I went to an Antique fair and have found a few bottles that I will share soon.
Kind regards
Giovanni
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:18:51 pm by Fiveroosters » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: