About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 17, 2024, 09:59:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ivory Snuff Bottle?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ivory Snuff Bottle?  (Read 433 times)
Baik
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:51 pm »

Hi,

I recently came into possesion of several snuff bottles and really know nothing about them. Any help identifying these and possible value would be much appreciated.

This one looks like it might be ivory. The whole top comes off as well as the lid which holds the spoon.

Thanks for any help.

Todd

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:29:31 pm by Baik » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:46:15 am »

Hi Todd,

Thanks for sharing! Judging from the photos, this bottle looks like elephant ivory. It has been 'straight-cored' and had a shoulder/neck added afterwards. This is obviously a lot easier than hollowing out the interior through a small mouth, and is a method often seen on Japanese produced ivory bottles. However, this one does not appear to be Japanese; probably early to mid 20th century Chinese origin.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:57:11 am »

Todd,
  Tom L. just brought your bottle to my attention. I was travelling between Dallas and Toronto, when you posted, and it somehow slipped between the cracks before. Sorry.
   Yes, I would agree with Tom L.'s opinion: that it is ivory, Chinese and 1920s-1950s in age.
Best,
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: