About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:44:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Couple of New Ones !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple of New Ones !  (Read 649 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: April 11, 2011, 12:18:38 pm »

Nothing spectacular, but I did not have and do like the blue glass..

The other came with it. Pretty poor painting, but do like the shape of the bottle.

Still trying to decipher the charactors on both sides of the blue bottle.. The The first name looks like Yung, and the last looks like Tien.

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:05:58 pm »

Hi  George

Save  your money  .........

See  what USD1,000  will  buy  as  a  commission  painting !

Cheers Peter  @ HK

* Li Shouxun - Zhang Yumao Commission ( A).jpg (291.8 KB, 427x1024 - viewed 25 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:13:23 pm »

I know... These are not anything special by any means Cheesy

If I thought I could get away with not only saving the 1000, but also getting my girlfriend to let me spend it on a single bottle ! Now that would be something !

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »

Ah   George....

Now you   are   admitting the   Female  influence !

That is  usually   VERY  bad news   for a   serious  collector   ...    (unless  your  wife's name  begins  with  'C')

My  wife  ( who is  Chinese , and   by now   very  bottle- savvy)    gives  me   carte  blanche to  buy   authenticated / original  artist  signed  bottles  regardless  of  price  ( she  trusts  my  judgement  on that) 

But  if I see a  beautiful   unsigned  bottle ...... well ,   I have  my  own means  to   sneak it  back   home

Wink

Cheers  :  Married to  " She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed"   

PS  :  There is  always  Plan B  : 

1. Save  up   a lot  of   money privately

2.  Buy   your  girlfriend  a  diamond  ring   suddenly / out  of the  blue ! 
           It  will  knock  her  out   for   at least one  year

Note  :   YOU MUST  BUY  THE   RING VOLUNTARILY  ! 

3.  During  that  year  use the  rest  of the  money  you  saved  to buy  some  lovely bottles

When  she  eventually  finds  out  you  spent  more  on   your  bottles   than   her diamond  ring she  will still  forgive  you

( Pat  :  Do NOT  laugh..........  )

PPS :  I am  very    happily  married  and VERY   happy to  obey   Smiley 

[   ...  well, maybe  sometimes   Wink  ]

PPPS : My   dear  wife  even  built me  our   bottle display cabinets  when we  recently moved  home. 
         Now  THAT  is   true partnership ! 

Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:33:50 pm »

George, I love the blue bottle... very nice, and consider the other one a nice bonus (I like that one too  Wink ...)

Peter, maybe your wife custom-built you the nice cabinet so she could monitor your sneeked-in unsigned bottles  Grin and... you asked me not to laugh, well, I tried ...   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 08:13:34 am »

I know exactly what you mean Peter !  Grin

Actually, I do have to "privatly" earn and then stash a little money each month.. That is how I am able to purchase the few bottles so far.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:51:29 pm »

I just received another bottle with the same signature as the blue bottle where I never could figure out the middle character of the signature.. Yong ( ? ) tien..

Can someone decipher that middle character for me ?
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 12:17:45 am »

Hi George :

Its Yong Shou Tien.......永寿田

sometime, the bottle was signed as 永受田 for some reason......... same chinese pronunciation .....

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:23:28 am »

Excellent, and thank you Pin !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:07:24 am »

Dear Peter,
     I JUST saw this bottle.
WOW!!!!
    Wonderful! It has whetted my appetite to see your collection.
Hard to believe I will be in Hong Kong in 70 days (10 weeks), G-D Willing. And finally meet you and your family,
and see the bottles, a day later.
Best,
Joey

Hi  George

Save  your money  .........

See  what USD1,000  will  buy  as  a  commission  painting !

Cheers Peter  @ HK
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 09:20:25 am »

Hi All

Yong   Shou TIAN (  not tien)

永   寿     田   

There  is  no   such  "tien"  spelling  in  Pinyin

田  Tian  =    field

Cheers

Peter

PS  Joey  : the  bottle  I showed  is  one  of a  series  of  12  bottles   copied   from  the   works  of  Zhang  Yumao  张 玉 茂  ,  a  modernist   abstract  Chinese  landscape  painter   from Shandong.  I have  two of  his  original  paintings   -  both  huge  1  meter  high  (including the  original  of   the  one  in the bottle   :  it's  in  my HK  home  entrance  hall-way  and  because  my  HK  home is  so  small    the  "hall"  is even  smaller  :   it's the  first thing  you  see   when  you   enter  my home ! ) 

To condense   them  into a  bottle  in  minute  detail   is  itself a  work  of  art /  craft . 

There's  only  one  artist  in the  world  who can  do that  :  Li  Shouxun  in Hengshui. 
It took  him  two  attempts  at the  first  bottle,  both of  which  I  bought.

The  commission   runs  over  6  years  :  2  bottles  =  4  faces  =   4  copies  per  year.  Master Li   says  it  takes  him  one  month  per face = 2  months  per  bottle,  but  he  now   exhibits  these  as  among his  finest  works of a lifetime. 

See  his  entry  in the  new  Ji - School  book  recently  published  in Hengshui . There's  two of  my bottles  there .

Master  Li  has  pledged  never  to  repeat  those    copies    of  Zhang  Yumao 's  works,  so  those  12  bottles  will be  unique.   ( But  there  are   already  several    copy- from-copy  look-alike   bottles   on sale, a  couple  of  which I  bought  just  for  interest's  sake   to  show  the  difference , both by  WXS   students )

My presentation  in Xian  will   cover   the   whole  topic  of  "copy  painting"  and  move on to the   real  thing,  which is  "original   art  inside a   bottle"

It's  actually  US$1 K  per  face  =  $2 K  per  bottle ,  but  well  worth  the  money.  Li Shouxun is  probably  THE  best    copy-artist  in  the   world.   Send  him  an  original ( coffee- table   art -book  size)  picture   and     he  will meticulously   paint  it  into a   tiny  bottle. 

Cheers
Peter

PS: In the  case  of  Master  Li,  this  the  single  only  artist  where  I  will  happily  broker   payment   etc in case  anyone  on the  Forum   wants  to  arrange a   commission  painting .   You can   safely  Paypal me    exactly  what  LSX   quotes  (zero  handling  charge)  plus   estimated  shipping  charges   and  I  will take  over  from   there. It  may  take a   few  months  because  I need  to  get the  bottle  hand-carried  back to  HK    to  inspect  it  before  shipping to the  West .   But it  will be  well  worth  the  wait.   Money-back  guarantee

Li Shouxun  is a  close personal    friend   of mine  and   also    best friend  of  Bill  Patrick  in  USA   www.snuffbottlecollector.com 

There  are  some  exceptional  artists in  Hengshui,    but  THE  most  exceptional  is  Li Shouxun  when it  comes  to this  kind  of   skill .

* COMPRESSED COPY JI-SCHOOL BOOK PAGE 197.jpg (36.01 KB, 668x1024 - viewed 14 times.)

* COMPRESSED COPY JI SCHOOL BOOK PAGE 196.jpg (40.6 KB, 710x1024 - viewed 12 times.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:53:44 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: