About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 06:22:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Mark section

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark section  (Read 1200 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« on: February 10, 2013, 04:32:41 am »

Dear all,
I don't know if this has already been discussed or proposed before.
Should be interesting to have a "Marks on SB" section. It could be divided in sub-chapters one for each reign mark, plus other like auspicious marks, shop marks, Hall marks etc.
To avoid to flood the section with a long series of pictures of the same mark, I think that members could post pictures of their better or most interesting marks but all the matter could be managed (screened) by a moderator so that it wil result in a good reference section. For what I have seen up to now, marks on snuff bottles are not the same as marks on porcelain ware, there are some interesting peculiar differences.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:06:02 am »

Dear Giovanni,

That is an excellent idea. When it comes to snuff bottles, it is not only marks on porcelain wares, but on glass, stone, lacquer and wood bottles too!

But who would have time to manage / be moderator?  Huh  It is not fair to ask George to do this.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:11 am »

Dear Tom,
yes that is the more critical point. I hope that some idea can surface. And some volunteer too.Smiley
For sure we have some precious consultants here (Joey for Imperial marks?).
We could start by including marks as they are posted and on the way, keep the single ones and select only a few for the most commons (Qianlong mark, and so on) depending on the quality, how they are placed etc.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 05:55:17 pm »

It sure sounds like a great idea !

It is more than fair to ask of me to moderate such an area within the forum.. I would make the time for any such project... Problem is, this particular subject would really be served best by a member with more expertise, and access to such information than do I..

.. Is this something that everyone who shares their knowledge are ok with posting to the public ?
.. Who would be willing to take on being a moderator for this topic ? I will fix it up so that person has full moderator editing, etc capabilities..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:13:16 pm »

Hi George,

If it's possible to set up the system to allow a designated person to have full editing capabilities that would be the best way forward. Yes, it should be someone with reasonable (although not necessarily 'expert') knowledge of the subject.

As to whether this should be posted on the public area is a debatable issue. On the one hand the Forum should be a source for freely sharing knowledge. On the other hand one doesn't want to help fakers using the Forum to glean such information (as happened on the Gotheborg site).
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44:03 pm »

As a general rule this kind of info should be for the private area in my opinion.  I do not post to the public area anymore. Period.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:44:24 am by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:15:06 am »

On Gotheborg that section (the idea of course comes from there) is on the public area. Everybody can see it:
http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/index_marks.htm

Dear George, if it is possible to set the administrator capability for some members that it is a very good tool.
I believe that most probably such section, if created, should be managed by more than one member. I hope that some volunteer will pop up, but it also depends on available time. As said before many times I am not so fond on marks.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: