About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 02:16:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Show at ROM, Toronto

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Show at ROM, Toronto  (Read 529 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:40 pm »

Following Kaz' lead, I'm also sharing an exhibition which includes snuff bottles, but this one is on until 17.March.2013 at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum), Bloor St. W & University Ave, Toronto.
    The show, put on by Ka Bo Tsang, of the ROM Chinese Dept.,  and U of T  (University of Toronto) Chinese Studies Dept., famous to snuff bottle collectors for her sterling work on the Bloch Collection catalogues and the J & J Collection catalogue, illustrates fine examples of the 'minor arts' of China.
   In the exhibition are 4 of my snuff bottles, all IPSB, of the Bai Sui Tu (or, as we used to call it, 'Bapo') subject, accompanied by a scroll of mine with the same subject matter. The bottles are D-3 (Ma Shaoxuan), D-4 (Ye Zhongsan the Elder), D-5 (Liu Kunyan), and D-6 (He Shuiqing). The scroll is the hanging scroll accompanying D-3 & D-5. All are from my catalogue, "Worlds In A Bottle".
Best, Joey
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:12:32 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:38:41 pm »

Joey,

Thanks for sharing, and really pleased to hear that some of your collection will be in the exhibition. Wish I could be there to see it!
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:24 am »

Thank you, Tom L.
   It is a wonderful show, with many wonderful objects of superb quality. My loan is relatively modest in number (5 objects out of 72), but of similar quality to the rest.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:33:26 am »

Dear Joey,

Thanks for the heads up on that exhibition; I wish I could get there for it.  I think that it is wonderful that there are an increasing number of Museum Exhibitions about, or at least including, snuff bottles.   The future of Snuff Bottle collecting looks very bright.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 06:34:45 pm »

Tom L., Tom B., and everyone.
   I'm a little embarrassed. I should have posted this in August, when the exhibition started. I never even thought, till I saw Misu's post on the National Palace Museum exhibition.
Sorry. Embarrassed
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:18:17 pm »

Joey,

You are forgiven.

Tom L.
Report Spam   Logged