About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:39:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Bottles with some historical meaning or significance

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottles with some historical meaning or significance  (Read 1837 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: April 10, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »

Yes, Bill and Peter, I have seen my share of fake bottles, although the ones posted here in this thread for sure are not... copies they well might be (although I dont even think that). They are student bottles in my opinion (for sure on the ZLY, the one where I only found the back pic) or in best case lower-grade commercial MSX or student/Ma Guangyu who signed a lot of work as MSX (first example) and Ye Studio students (second example signed Ye Zhongsan). The pics dont do the items justice.

On the transfers you both refer to... yes, there is some electrical process that allows a outline in grey/black to be posted inside the bottles.  See examples below. I dont have good copies of the pics (they are taken from internet) but I have seen the types of bottles in question first hand

The transfers are amazingly done although they are done by electrolysis or some process, not transfers as Peter referred to (this type I have never seen but told they exist).  These bottles are then sold either blank grey/black tone, with some colour, or better colour.  Some are actually hand painted in different qualities once the outline is there.   One of the give aways is the lack of variety in lines (absence of stroke marks) AND the impossible straight lines achieved in the process.   I have seen some incredibly straight lines in IPSB but these defy logic and skill.  Have a look at one of the sellers of these bottles and look at the variety of items he has (plain grey/black, some color, more color).  They can easily fool non-informed buyers, but the starting prices give it ALL away even to the least knowledgeable folk.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150589705662&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

In this example you can actually see the failed process of the electrolytic transfer (like burn marks).  I cant understand how EVEN this process can be cost-effective, but they are out there in droves...

Finally, the bottles Bill refers to in heavy glass, dark color, overlay .. some of them are terrible, others not bad, and I am at a loss to try and understand how they are made.  If pics processed before dipping for overlay and carving, then this seems a lengthy process, even if they are molded which they dont look like. If overlayed before the pics applied, then it seems very complex.  I would love to know, see and learn how they make these bottles.  I actually have some exquisite hand carved bottles that I suspect where the pics/paintings have been 'handled this way but the bottles are super nice and high quality glass.  A mystery it will remain until someone shares more about the process.

* ViewImage2.jpg (12.49 KB, 400x300 - viewed 37 times.)

* ViewImage.jpg (12.03 KB, 400x300 - viewed 34 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: