About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 09:34:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Bottles with some historical meaning or significance

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottles with some historical meaning or significance  (Read 1836 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 10, 2011, 06:14:54 pm »

Hi Bill  Smiley    Cheesy

Yes  , you  will   have a  ton to  catch up  on   ! This   forum is really  great fun .   I  spent  over an hour  last night   chatting  on line with Patriek and  I'm going to  order some books from Richard, who  it turns  out also  knows  Jill  very well.
Hope the  hike  goes  well.  My replacement  knee is  recovering  so maybe  we can make that trip   you once suggested  in China  looking at  arch-like  places  after  I retire  in a  couple  of years   Smiley

Back to  antique  bottles :

Pat  : when I    first started  collecting  I once bought    what I thought  was  an  antique  bottle  at a  very good  price  from a  Guangzhou  antique shop in the  tourist area   by the  White Swan hotel .  It  was sort  of   darkish  yellow  glass  and   faded  - a  very  detailed ancient  Chinese street scene . I asked  Bill  for advice and  he warned  me about  fake  antiques   and that  - incredibly -  some fake bottles  are actually a  transfer  stuck  on the  inside  of the  bottle ! Don't ask me  how  they  do that  : seems  more    difficult than actually painting inside. Anyway, I checked the   bottle   carefully, and sure  enough there  were  some  tiny  places  where the  transfer  had peeled  off  showing the   clear  glass.   Caveat   emptor  !  Having said that, it was  nothing like the   old  bottles   you  sent me pics  of   last night , which   obviously  are  truly inside  painted,  and  also  obviously very old judging from the  painting  styles.   Just that    you don't know  who painted them  ( yet  ) . Probably  Jill's  husband, Li Hui, in  BJ  can give  you  an opinion if  you  bring  them  for him to  examine.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: