About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 04:24:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Bottles with some historical meaning or significance

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottles with some historical meaning or significance  (Read 1840 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 10, 2011, 06:17:40 am »

Hey  Pat, that's   really cool   !  Antique  shops  in Suzhou !  Actually  I was  in Suzhou  a  year ago and    walked  down   the antique  shop street  but  saw  nothing. I  also   once    investigated  HK's  Cat Street  flea  market but also  found  nothing.  I think  Cat Street  was picked   clean   many   decades  ago by serious  collectors  so all you  can find  now in  the few  HK  antique  shops   that also sell  bottles are good  quality  antique  bottles  at  high prices  ( there  are   4  - 5  such  shops  along  Hollywood  Road)  .  But,  there's a retired    dealer  in HK  called  Mr Tai  ( Hop Wah).  Bill introduced him to  me. He's a very  kindly  man, and  used to  have a  bottle   shop  in the   Kowloon  Hotel ( I actually  do  remember it   fro  20  years ago)  . Now   he  just  has a very small office  where  he  has the  remains  of his  stock  - about 100 +   bottles . I  have been   there a few times  and  found   a few  rare  old  landscape  bottles, including even a   Dong Kun  . Mr Tai  only asked  for the  original  price  on the  bottom  dating from 15 years  ago - and even then  gave  me a   30%  discount ! -  so I picked  up a   few real  bargains , although  I have to say that   only  a couple  were  really beautiful  bottles. If you   are ever  in HK  I can  introduce  you  to Mr  Tai,  and   depending  on what  your preferred  themes  are   you might  find a  few  gems  ( there  were  still  a lot of  very old bottles  left on his  shelves that  I  was not interested  in because they were  not  landscapes)

I attach a  pic  of  Ms  Wang  Hong  in SH  ( she's the  lady on the  left  : the   tall attractive girl  on the right  is her    assistant)   . She used to be in one  of  the  Yu Garden    arcades  . but    she was evicted  when they renovated the  arcade  2 years  ago  and now  she  has a   little   shop in one  of the  side streets  on the edge of the  Yu  Garden  shopping area.    A  few shops  further  down is a  lovely little   wood carving shop which  also sells  beautiful little  wooden  stands  of which I have bought   a couple  of  hundred  because I find it's safer to  stick my bottles   with  blue-tac  onto  a  stand  than   let them  stand  on the   glass  shelves  in my cabinets .  Look  forward to  when we can next  meet in SH  !
BTW  :   where is  your  place in SH ?  I  always  use the Galaxy  because  our  office  is  opposite the Yangtze Jiang  Hotel  in Hongqiao.  

Cheers  Peter  @ HK

* s Bottle Shop SH.jpg (103.41 KB, 480x640 - viewed 53 times.)

* Very Cool wooden stands.JPG (36.6 KB, 448x336 - viewed 35 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: