About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:40:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Using E-Bay

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using E-Bay  (Read 466 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: February 02, 2013, 02:53:34 pm »

Hi All

I   realise that  I  may  have - probably certainly  have  -  been  somewhat  disparaging  of   E-Bay  as  a  way to  buy  VMIPBs

( I decline  to comment  on the  early / middle  period   IPBs  in  which  area  I have   zero  expertise) 

It  occurred to  me   just this  past  week   that   for  those  of  you   over  in the  West,  E-Bay  is  your   equivalent to   what  I  do  in China   -  hunting   down  bottles  in  prime   VMIPB    shops.  I know a  few   shops  like  this  in each  major   city  I  regularly  visit  (  Beijing, Shanghai,  Guuangzhou, Nanjing,  Xian...)    and  whenever  I  visit   those  cities  I always   seek  out    those   shops.

I think that on the  Forum  only  Pat has the  same    experience    "direct"  in China 

But  even   experienced  collectors   like  me and  Pat   have  to  be  on our  guard   against   fake/ false-signed/   whatever /  Not-the-real-thing  bottles   when  bought   direct  in China  face-to-face   with the  bottle.    And  please  believe  me:  I have  made  some  huge  mistakes  in the  past  -even  buying a  totally   photo-faked  bottle   from my  No 1  prestige  VMIPB bottle   shop  in  SH  - the   bottle   even  fooled  the   shop manager !

But   frankly speaking,   shopping  for  bottles   direct  in China    is  FUN  Smiley

I now  understand  that   for  most  of  you  in  the  Forum,  who do not/ cannot travel  to China freqeuntly, E-Bay  is  probably  your  only   way  to   search  for  new  bottles.   And  there's also the   FUN  of the   search !

So  - please   do  continue to   search  on  E-bay  and   feel  free  to  ask  opinions   from  experienced   collectors

Half the   fun of  collecting  is  THE   SEARCH !

Cheers
Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:59:24 pm »

Peter,
   I'd rather come and search in China!
 G-D Willing, Next  Year in Beijing! Next Year in Hebei! Next Year in Xian!  Next Year in...  Cheesy
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 03:24:21 pm »

Hi Joey. All

Welcome  you  all to  China

One  of  my  ambitions   in  retirement   is  to   help    Western  Collectors  come to   China  and  meet  the   artists   directly  (e.g  in  Hengshui)   

I can   arrange  local  logsitics - very  easy.  Hengshui  is just  300  km   south  of  Beijing 

Top  class  Hengshui  hotels  =  common   USA  "Motel"   standard , but  if  you  can   accept  that  and the  wierd  breakfast  menue ( All  Chinese)    then we  have  FUN!

Think about it

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:26:54 pm »

I'm there, G-D Willing, in 2014!
Thank you. And I hope a lot of other Forum members will come as well,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]