About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:51:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Jet ( Lignite ) Qing Dynasty 1821-1850

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Jet ( Lignite ) Qing Dynasty 1821-1850  (Read 7359 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:05 pm »

Just want to share this interesting bottle carved from Jet during the Tao Kuang Period.  Not really a mineral, but a mineraloid. It is organic since it comes from decomposed wood/plant material that has been under extreme pressure.  Related to coal, but much younger.

I have used Jet for a backing on cabochons before. Jet has been used in jewelry for thousands of years.. It is also called Black Amber because it is soft like Amber, but still difficult to work becuase it is sort of brittle. Lots of very small fractures through out.

The historical trail for this bottle would be interesting becuase the origins of Jet is New Zealand, Spain, France, Germany, and Russia, but most is from England. Interesting that it found it's way to the Y.F. Yang shop in Hong Kong, and now back across the globe again in the hands of a seller in the UK.

I wonder if a better description fro this bottle might be "King George IV Dynasty (1820-1830)"   Wink

I like everything about this bottle. The size is just right. The shape is really nice, and the Jet black color is absolutely wonderful.

Not sure how much the seller is hoping to get for it. The current 1063.00 US has not yet met his reserve.

Here is the eBay link..

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:06:37 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:26:26 pm »

Thanks for sharing George!

If I were the seller, I will put the reserved $4000.00 for this beauty. if nobody can afford it , then I will keep the beauty forever. Grin

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:28:40 pm »

BTW, George,

Can you move it  to the member section, our member might be interested in it, don't want to share the value to the public, at least before the end of the auction.

Thanks!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:34:22 pm »

George,
  Thank you for sharing that bottle.
   Early Jet bottles are rare, hence the price. I actually prefer this plain example to the decorated examples I've seen and owned (I had 2 at one stage). They used to be in the US$500-1500 range (ca.1987-1993).  I paid somewhere in the middle for each of mine (both inlaid with silver thread in an archaistic design, one with an inscription inset, and Daoguang period; possibly a tad earlier).
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:18:27 pm »

BTW, George,

Can you move it  to the member section, our member might be interested in it, don't want to share the value to the public, at least before the end of the auction.

Thanks!

Steven

Sure thing...  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »

Dear George,
thank you for this thread, I didn't know about this material before. Frankly speaking, while reading I was thinking to myself that I would not spend so much money for that bottle. Then I read Joey's post, where he confirm that it is a rare material, but it seems that he too thinks that it is a bit overpriced, I think.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:43:12 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

You know that the top quality SB's price have been increased 5-10 times from 90s - now, so If the seller sell it for $2000.00 fixed price, I might well buy it. its truly a beauty and very rare.

Let us see how much it gonna fetch, very curious about it.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:09 am »

Thanks for the input, dear Steven. I am not aware of how prices did evolve during years, but my feeling is that recently (I mean from the last two-three years) the prices are going up as never before. Am I wrong?
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:16:53 am »

Not really a mineral, but a mineraloid. It is organic since it comes from decomposed wood/plant material that has been under extreme pressure.  Related to coal, but much younger.

George,

Shouldn't this be posted under "Organic" instead of "Hardstone? (also in the Members area, of course)

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:39:15 am »

It should, and that is what I originaly had it posted under in the public forum, but I have not created an actual "organics" board here yet..

The closest other possibility could have been under Miscellaneous Bottles board..

I think this is the first organic bottle that has been posted so far within this private area..

I could create one if you like..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:24:46 am »

Yes George, please do.  I have a few that I would put there eventually.

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

deelsb26

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:25:54 pm »

I think it is a cool bottle, I love the stopper too, it really adds to the bottle in my opinion.
Danna
Report Spam   Logged

Danna
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 01:45:53 pm »

Agree with Danna, It is really cool.  What I love about it is the shape,so pleasing to the eye. SIMPLY ELEGANT!  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:03:51 pm »

Jo, I agree with you and Danna. Actually, I also agree with Steven. US$2,000 would be a good price for it today.
A very elegant bottle indeed.
 Giovanni, I gave the prices till mid-1990s. They have gone up quite a bit since, and as you correctly pointed out, especially in the last few years.
  In 1984, I was offered a superb 18th C. Turquoise (#35 in my 1987 Israel Museum catalogue), by the late Eunice Cameron, who worked for Hugh Moss till her untimely death in a traffic accident. A wonderful person, and an ethical dealer, who kept her boss in line. It was US$1,800.  The accepted price at the time for an 18th C. Turquoise was US1,200 to $1,400. Friends, worried I was going overboard, tried to convince me that I was paying a crazy price. But it was so beautiful I didn't care. Carlos Soler, Silvia's father (Silvia Soler is referred to in Richard's Book a Day thread), was especially vehement. I said that it was a 'superstar' in that category, and worth it.
  A year later, those who had felt I'd overpaid, were fighting to buy an example less fine for US$2,400!
It ALWAYS pays to buy the best quality you can afford, and to buy one great example rather than 3 good (or 10 mediocre) ones.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »

Dear Joey,
your last sentence is like gold.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:08:59 am »

If I were the seller, I will put the reserved $4000.00 for this beauty. if nobody can afford it , then I will keep the beauty forever. Grin

Steven

You were very close Steven !

$4,150.00 US
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:32:17 am »

Thanks George,

This bottle will be shown up on our forum in the future.Smiley

Don't make it wrong, I am not the lucky winner. Huh

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:35:29 am »

Wow! While I felt it was easily worth more than the US$2,000 Steven suggested, I never expected it to go for over US$4,000! My expectation was that it would fetch between US$2,500 and US$3,000.
  But remember my story about the Turquoise sb, a few posts back; the quality of this bottle is such that in a few years, possibly less, the buyer will be bragging what a bargain he got! And he won't be wrong, either.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:43:04 am »

I think its good buy!!! congratulations to the lucky winner.

Here is one from christies 5 years ago. not as beautiful as this one IMO

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/an-unusual-jet-snuff-bottle-1760-1880-5046827-details.aspx

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:41 am »

Here is one from Bonhams.

Sold 3 years ago at $15000.00, still not as elegant as this one.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18592/lot/130/

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: