About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:14:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

My Dad's old bottle. Is this Tibetan?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Dad's old bottle. Is this Tibetan?  (Read 455 times)
ileney

« on: April 08, 2021, 05:56:21 pm »

Growing up, my dad had three snuff bottles, two of them with filigree decor, and I assumed he sold them all for next to nothing, along with many other items that turned out to be of good quality, but apparently my sister still has one of them! She sent me these pictures.

I'm wondering if this is Tibetan or where it came from and how old it is or any other information that can be surmised. It appears to me to be agate and gold washed silver filigree, turquoise and coral. Edited to add the reverse, which is basically the same as the other side except for the agate markings differing.

* thumbnail.jpeg (20.75 KB, 300x400 - viewed 35 times.)

* thumbnail.jpeg (16.34 KB, 300x400 - viewed 21 times.)

* thumbnail.jpeg (16.44 KB, 300x400 - viewed 25 times.)

* thumbnail.jpeg (23.08 KB, 300x400 - viewed 27 times.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:59:21 pm by ileney » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 01:26:46 am »

Lovely bottle.  I can not add a lot but can confirm for you that it is a shadow agate.

Lets see if other members can help date it for you.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 03:30:00 am »

Dear Ileney,

For this particular type of bottle, we have to separate the actual bottle itself and the filigree attached to it.

The Shadow Agate mentioned by George is Chinese and looks late 19th Century to me. Usually the price will weigh heavily towards the bottle rather than the filigree.
The Gilt Silver filigree looks to be Mongolian-style and could have been made in the mid 20th Century. My speculation of it being Mongolian-style is due to the Coral and Turquoise combination.

It will be easier to see if the photo can be bigger at 800X1000 pixel?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 02:39:26 pm »

Thank you both so much for all the information. That is very helpful. YT,  I've been trying to upload larger images but it keeps saying the folder if full. It may be my image size is too large, but I tried making it smaller in preview (imac) and that didn't seem to help. I'm going to contact George and see if he knows what I'm doing wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 04:31:51 pm »

I'm trying to upload those images again. I hope this works. Thank you again for your thoughts.

Ilene

* abottle1.jpg (195.65 KB, 595x713 - viewed 27 times.)

* abottle2.jpg (121.81 KB, 459x739 - viewed 16 times.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:29:12 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 10:58:46 pm »

Dear Ileney,

Its a lovely bottle as the comments from other friends. And I am with YT that the gilt sliver filigree looks to be Mongolian style, actually even the bottle itself could be from Mongolian. The bottle could be earlier than the silver work, but I still think the silver work is also from 19th century.

Cheers.

Stevem
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 12:59:42 pm »

Many thanks for the information. I very much appreciate it. 

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 08:41:21 pm »

Very interesting example.
Thank you for posting it.
Hope you had a great Pesach,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

ileney

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 12:11:25 pm »

Thank you Joey! I hope you did as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 05:43:09 pm »

Dear Ilene,

It was a bit weird. I couldn't get into the Seder, something that hasn't happened to me in the 55 years since I started reading the Hagada at age 9!
I was looking after my 5+ yr. old godson, and he distracted me from the ritual stuff. I did the stuff [taking out drops of grape juice from my cup to symbolise the 10 plagues, etc., and the sandwiches with 2 pieces of matza with Chrain, and then again with Charoset, etc. And I followed the Hagada; but just not with my usual concentration. And I didn't do the post-Seder songs after the phrase 'Chasal Seder Pesach k'Hilchato', at all.
Oh well, next year is another Pesach, G-D Willing...

The food was great [my godson's grandfather is an amazing cook, and had been a chef in the King David Hotel for 20 years] and I had my regular handmade matzot this year, which I didn't last year due to the pandemic.

But last year, doing the Seder by myself with 'only' G-D, I felt like the first Passover in Egypt:
3,300 years ago, we were Commanded to stay inside our homes lest the Destroyer kill us; same thing in 2020!  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
I had crappy Matzot in 2020, where I LOVE the handmade extra-thin matzot [at US$50/ 1 lb. not cheap, but worth it!] I  had this year.
But the term 'Lechem Oni' ["bread of affliction"] really fit the ones I had in 2020!
Have a great Shavuot next Sunday night,  Monday & Tuesday [we only have one day in Israel, Monday this year.].
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: