About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:52:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

2014 ICSBS Convention in HK and Xian

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 ICSBS Convention in HK and Xian  (Read 823 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:34 pm »

Hi  All

I recently  got  this news   from Berthe  Ford ( President of the  ICSBS):

If you not have heard, it is with pleasure that I announce the 2014 convention of ICSBS to be in Hong Kong from Tuesday 21 October through Friday 24 October. On Saturday 25 October 2014 the group will proceed to Xian where we will reconvene at the Westin Xian Hotel for more snuff bottle related activities through Tuesday 28 October 2014.

This Hong Kong convention will mark the 46th anniversary of the Society. In 2005 ICSBS held its last convention in Hong Kong but given the growing number of mainland Chinese members of the Society, it is time to do it again! During our program we hope to have the opportunity to view many bottles from Hong Kong private collections on public display. Along this line, please bring ideas for venues.

John and I plan to be in Hong Kong from Friday 22 February through Wednesday the 27th, 2013 to inspect the Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel as our potential headquarters for 2014. They have given us an exceptional guest room rate of HK$ 2600 for single and HK $2800 for double occupancy inclusive of daily buffet breakfast.  Although the dealers and lecture rooms will be expensive, we can deal with these costs.   

I am proposing to meet all HK ICSBS members on Sunday 24 February 2013 at 3:00 p.m. to discuss program planning. After I hear from you, I will obtain a room from the Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel and be in touch. For our meeting, I will have a suggested program available for us to develop and deliberate and hope you can join John and me.

I have  already   confirmed   to Berthe  that  I would like to  join the  meeting  on  24  Feb 2013  : in fact    it turns  out I was the   first  one to   reply  to her   on this    Smiley

I will  certainly  join the    2014  convention , both in HK and  Xian,    and  in addition  I will :

a)  invite ICSBS members to my home  to see  my collection while  they are  in HK

b)  offer to lead a  small group to Hengshui  after the   trip to  Xian

If  any  forum memembers   plan to  join this  convention  , please  keep  me  in the  loop about  your  plans

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »

David and I plan to attend.  Would love to join the small group going to Hengshui. Thanks for making that wonderful offer!  We look forward to meeting you and other Snuff Bottle Friends we have not met in person.  We will keep you updated on our plans as we get closer to the date.  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:32:38 pm »

David,
   I plan to come as well. Are there night flights to Xian from Hong Kong?
 I don't fly on Sabbath (Saturday till darkness; Sat. night is fine).
Regardless, I look forward to Hengshui.
Thank you,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:12:42 pm »

Hi Joey

Yes of course there  are  flights   from HK to  Xian !

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »

A great pity the HK Convention is next year and not this. I will be relocated to the other side of the planet by fall of 2014.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

KAZ

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:05:58 am »

Hi Peter,

It has been decided that I will be stationed in BJ for another year till March 2014 at the shortest.
But I am not sure if I will be in BJ 2014 Fall at moment.
While even though I will be in Tokyo at that time, I will do best to join you at the convention in HK and Xi'An.
I look forward to the Convention.

Cheers  Misu
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:45:45 pm »

Peter,
   You missed the key word, 'night'.
I know there are flights from Hong Kong to Xian; after all, the Fords and most members are not going by wagon train.
But are there flights leaving at night, so I don't have to desecrate the Sabbath by flying on Saturday before Sabbath ends?
That was my question, and it has still not been answered.
 Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »

Hi   Joey

Just  google  " flights  hong kong to Xian "     Grin

Valid through 30 Jan 2013

11:55 am → 2:30 pm HKG-XIY   S - T - T - -    Dragonair 946
12:10 pm → 2:30 pm HKG-XIY - M - W - F S     Dragonair 946
2:35 pm →  5:15 pm HKG-XIY    S M T W - F S   China Eastern 204

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »

Joey,
    In case there is no evening flight added by 2014 you could fly over Sunday morning.
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 05:29:04 am »

Relax  guys!

There's   18 months  to  go  ! 

Flight   schedules  for   2014  have  not  even  been  planned, let alone  published

But for   forward  planning , I  will  arrange a    3  day  /  2  night   tourist  trip  in BJ   after the  Xian  leg  of the   ICSBS : that's if the   ICSBS  itself  does  not  do  so  (But  I think the  ICSBS   will  arrange   something in   BJ  after  Xian   from what  I have  heard  on the   grapevine , so  most probably  that's  all  taken care  of) 

From  BJ  we will  hire a  minibus to  drive  us to  Hengshui  ( about  3 - 4  hours  drive  on freeway)  and   stay  there   for  4   nights , then  come back to   BJ   by minibus

So  roughly  this  plan  :

Day  1  PM    BJ / Hengshui

Day  2    Hengshui ( sort  of  semi - organised )

Day  3   Day  return  trip to  Shijiazhuang  (1  hour   drive)  - because  a lot of the   top artists  now live in  Shijiazhuang and there's  also a   Wang Xisan  museum  there   opened   3  years  ago   ( organized)

Day   4    Hengshui  ( individual   follow-up  with  artists / totally non- organized)

Day   5   AM  Hengshui /  BJ

If  any  guys 'must'  to   go  back to BJ  at any earlier  time they can do so by  train . 

Accomodation   in Hengshui  will  be   sort  of   1.5  - 2  star  level  by western standards  ( =  Hengshui  "4 star" ) :   US$ 50/ night or  so

We  will  share  all costs   equally  but   compared to the  ICSBS   costs  it will be  peanuts

Anyway,    ages to   go

( But  isn't  it  exciting  !? )

Cheers

Peter
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:31:30 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 03:01:00 pm »

Peter & Tom L,
   Thank you. I never even thought to google the flights. I call my travel agent, and he checks stuff for me.
And you are both right, it is 18 months away, but it is also exciting to start thinking and planning.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:54:50 pm »

Joey

Google  is  wonderful  thing !  If I  want to  take a   ferry  to  one of  the    outlying  islands   round  HK  this  morning e.g  Cheung  Chau  I  just   google "ferry  hong kong to   cheung  chau"  and  immediately  find the   correct  website with the  timetable.  Easier than  making a phone call

If there  was  Google  in   30  AD  I bet  Jesus  would  have   said  to the   Scribes and the  Pharisees :  "The  Sabbath  was  made  for  man, not man for the   Sabbath ... and  thus  it  is  OK to   google  from your armchair  on the  Sabbath to   find out  what time to  get next  day  to  catch the  Sunday  morning  donkey  express  train  to Damascus"    Cheesy

BOOKING  flights  is a   different  matter  because  of  seat  availability - and for  that  one  does  best to deal  with a  travel  agent.

Cheesy

Cheers Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:05:33 am »

Maybe Jesus did say that, and it was edited out. The Gospel according to Peter (Bentley)!  Wink Cheesy
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 04:19:52 pm »

Hi  Joey 

Cheesy

It was  indeed  edited  out  by the  time the    NT  was  compiled  by the  RC  church   at the  Council of  Nicea in  423 CE, because    Microsoft  had  by that  time  bought  out   Rome

Grin   Grin   Grin

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 04:04:28 am »

Peter,
   I assume you know the joke about Bill Gates wanting to pay the Catholic Church to put a MICROSOFT logo on the backs and fronts of all their chasubles, so that those at mass would see it, when the priests served the mass.
   The pope refused, but at the end of the failed negotiations, Bill Gates said," Fine, but just tell me,  what did the wine and the bread people give you, to feature their products?!"  Shocked Grin
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 04:51:00 am »

Hi  Joey

Grin Cheesy

I think  we best  to  continue this   joke exchange  in private   Wink

I  don't  want to   tread  on anyone's  religious  sensibilities

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 06:48:08 am »

Peter,
   As usual, you are correct.
Although, rereading the last few posts, I see nothing that would offend anyone.
And it's not as if we cast any aspersions on Islam or Moslems, which would cause a Fatwa to be issued against the Forum, and violent rioting wherever Moslems may be found (except in Israel or the PRC, where we'll shoot'em if they get violent! Just joking).
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: