About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:12:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

FedEx Clearance Delay

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FedEx Clearance Delay  (Read 8997 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« on: January 11, 2013, 09:38:50 am »

Does anybody has a this kind of experience?

I bought a lot from a UK auction house, and my package is hold by US custom, and reason for delay is
Reason For Delay,

1. Itemized breakdown of product composition required.

Not sure what should I do at this moment, can somebody give some advise?

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:03:49 am »

Dear Steven,

If your snuff bottle has an organic part such as an Ivory spoon, it could be big trouble.  I am sure that everyone is familiar with the law concerning endangered species that was passed last year in California.  There was a warning posted on the website of the ICSBS website:

New Law for The State of California

A new law for the state of California was passed some months ago, without anyone in the antique trade being informed. This affects all dealers, auction houses, antique malls and private individuals.

With regard to snuff bottles, this includes items made from ivory, tortoise shell, rhino horn, antelope horn, coral and even from animals that are not on the federal endangered list, such as walrus ivory.

This law does NOT exempt items over one hundred years old or items which were present in California before 1973.
If you are a dealer or auctioneer, do NOT bring any of these items into the state or they may be confiscated.
If you are a collector, you cannot trade any of these items.

See the attached pertinent Sections of the California Penal Code >> .

That law has already resulted in Sotheby's New York not wanting to take consignments of snuff bottles with Ivory spoons!!  They calim that they will only sell snuff bottles with ivory spoons if they have a CITES certificate. 

Best regards,

Tom B.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Steven

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:53 am »

Darn Undecided

It has a ivory spoon,  I asked them to ship with Royal airsure mail, but they insisted using Fedex, Just don't want to go through all the hassle Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:11 am »

BTW, the lot is hold in Texas, not sure Texas has same restriction as California, anyway, I guess I can do nothing but waiting.
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:30:12 pm »

Dear Steven,

Sorry about your trouble, but it still might turn out okay.

The problem is that it is illegal to import restricted materials into the entire USA. If a customs official is stubborn, they may have it returned to sender. If it had been sold in Texas, it could be legally shipped anywhere in the USA with no problem with the exception of California.  But coming from a foreign country, it should have a CITES certificate.  How old is the bottle?  If it is dated before 1913, then you don't need a CITES certificate.  Last year I wrote them about a Rhinoceros horn mounted in a Tiffany quality Art Nouveau bronze base.  I told them that I had a definite provenance tracing it back through the family toa man who was Michigan's wealtiest resident at the time of his death in 1908. Since it came from his estate to his daughter and then granddaughter, it has to be over 100 years old.  They told me that there was no need for a CITES certificate of genuine antique items.

The following link is the reason that big auction houses are so nervous abot consignments containing ivory, etc.

http://ivorywarningfromcollector.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/14/

Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »

Steven

This happened to a good friend of mine.  A couple of questions to guide you, if you don't mind..

1. Did the sales listing indicate it was an ivory spoon?
2. If no, is there a any written communication from the seller in email etc.?
If yes to these questions (certainly to 1, if 2 is yes, depends on how far they want to take this by ciontacting the seller) it could spell trouble.

If no, just say that in your thoughts and mind it was bone when you bought the item. If they disagree, they will confiscate the item, or send it back to the seller.  The latter is what happened to my friend. The listing did not indicate it was ivory, but customs inspection revealed it was.

I sincerely hope for you that the listing did not say it was an ivory spoon to save you all the hassle.  Take care!

Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

deelsb26

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »

Wow steven, that's terrible, be sure to let us know what happens!
Danna
Report Spam   Logged

Danna
Steven

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »

Thank you so much to all,

The shipping company sent some info to the FedEx , it was released this afternoon.

I guess next time I will be very careful to choose the shipping company, I have not had any this kind of issues before by using other shipping company. I heard that FedEx and UPS always have this kind of issues.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:30:44 pm »

Dear Steven,
   I'm glad it all worked out.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print