About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 02:46:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Another new one...

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another new one...  (Read 506 times)
Keith
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:53:52 am »

Again around 8cm high,no marks this time,I presume it's of a similar age to my last post,thanks,Keith.

* DSCF7691.JPG (87.34 KB, 757x836 - viewed 29 times.)

* DSCF7692.JPG (92.49 KB, 777x912 - viewed 33 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:36:52 am »

Hi Keith,
    There was another thread on this Forum a few months ago concerning these enamels-on-glass bottles. When I find it, I'll send you the link.
    They are mostly post-1980, generally of high standard, and often have a Qianlong base mark in blue, or else the "Ancient Moon Pavilion" mark in red. Almost all are loosely copied from Qianlong Palace originals. I say 'loosely' because the Ye family created exact copies of museum pieces during the 1950s and 1960s, that were mistaken for the real thing, fetching very high prices before the disclosure. Since the 1990s the Ye copies began to be appreciated in their own right, and 'genuine' Ye copies now sell for considerable sums (US$40K-$50K, or about one tenth the price of original Qianlong pieces).
    Following the success of modern inside painted snuff bottles some artists began producing enamels on glass in the late 1970s or so. At first these were, as mentioned, loosely modelled on Qianlong Palace examples, but without any attempt to deceive. Since the 1990s the designs have become more expressive of the individual artists, and we see bottles like the one you have posted here. The formalized foliate neck band is the only part still paying homage to the Palace originals.
    It will not be long, in my opinion, before the artists start to sign these bottles just as they do with inside painted ones. BTW, is that horizontal hairline across one side a crack, or a flaw in the photo?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:40:10 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:15:01 am »

Hi Keith,

Here's the link...I found it:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,893.0.html

All best
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Keith
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:36:07 am »

Hello Tom.thanks for the info' and the link,the mark seems to be in the enamel,the glass is sound, Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: