About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 01:18:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Blue & White Porcelain Bottles

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue & White Porcelain Bottles  (Read 16745 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:52 pm »

All,

I’m still trying to answer these questions myself.  When looking at this issue you need to make the distinction between 1) the body (hard or soft paste porcelain, i.e., the clay mixture of the body as Joey points outs), 2) the over glaze mixture, and 3) how the over glaze reacts to with the body when fired.  Yes, my understanding is hard past porcelain (the unfired clay base) is decorated, glazed, and then fired once.  Additional over glazing decorating would require one or more additional firings (ex., over glaze iron red enamel that is then gilded with gold would require two additional firings which the same process as I remember my mother doing in her years of ceramics).  All these firings at different temperatures as Giovanni points out.

Now, to the question of soft paste.  Is it fired once or twice in the initial forming of the glazed item?  I don’t know for sure.  Will have to get back to my notes and reference sources unless someone else here knows.  The answer could be both process would work depending on the glaze mixture and how it reacts with the unfired or fire body. 

Charll
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:30:24 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: