About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 10:42:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

reticulated snuff bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: reticulated snuff bottle  (Read 4738 times)
joearp
Private Boards

« on: December 17, 2012, 01:50:53 pm »

Hey guys want your opinion on this new bottle.  Do you think it is old and of good quality? I value your opinion.  Much Thanks

* reticulated snuff bottle.jpg (1876.69 KB, 1840x3264 - viewed 47 times.)

* reticulated snuff bottle shot two.jpg (1436.2 KB, 1840x3264 - viewed 33 times.)

* DSC00916.JPG (1827.95 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 30 times.)

* DSC00917.JPG (1786.91 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 24 times.)

* DSC00918.JPG (1860.8 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 24 times.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 09:47:13 am by joearp » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »

Dear Joe,

It looks like a very good later 18th caved porcelain bottle to me based on the pics,  you might attach some pics of base rim and mouth for other experts to ID for you.

I am just pretend that I know porcelain well Wink, will let the real experts chip in.

Anyway, its a very lovely bottle I love to have.

Cheers!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:28:56 pm »

Jo,
 1. You need to photograph it on a solid background; the bottle and the material clash.
2. The photos are too small, or blow up way too much.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:41:20 pm »

Thanks  I will get some better photos on a solid background so you can see it better.  Appreciate your help.  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 02:44:32 pm »

My pleasure. I want to do the best I can to help you.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:57:10 pm »

Dear Joe,
I second what said by others. The pictures are out of focus and, most important, too big. Please resize them at about 800 pixels otherways one can not have an idea of what is looking to. It is especially important a good picture of the base.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:57:38 pm »

thanks I will do that.  I appreciate your input and help.  I think you may be Italian, We love Italy, What part of the country are you from?  Hope i am not too bold in asking!!! If so ignore my comment.Glad there are snuff bottle lovers all over this beautiful world!
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:36:41 am »

Hello Jo,

I agree with the others that the background is distracting.   I was able to right click the file name below the small thumbnail and open it in a picture viewing program.  That allowed me to see the whole image and regulate its size.  It is good enough for a preliminary assessment of your SB. 

With the Bajixiang or “Eight Auspicious Buddhist Symbols” decoration, it is a rather rare example of this genre.  Reticulated porcelain SB's were first made a during the very late Qianlong period and have been made ever since.  The early ones are ususally given a date of circa 1790-1820 when unmarked.  Since they would have all been made in the Imperial Kiln during that time, they will have the best enamels and modeling.  Yours looks to be an early example surely made in the Imperial Kiln.  The modeling is very detailed and complicated. The enamels are of high quality. Unfortunately it should have a flared top rim, but it has been ground down and possibly at the foot also. 

Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »

Tom,
  I can't see it in the thumbnail, and Jo hasn't yet re-organised it.
  From your ability to view it, is the wear on the bottle, except for the mouth rim and foot, consistent with a 1780-1830 dating? It looked to me as if there was NO wear on the front or back of the bottle, which would lead me to believe it was modern. But honestly, I can't tell - on the thumbnail, the cloth distracts too much; enlarged, I can't get a handle visually.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »

Thanks everyone for your help so far.  I took some more photos,with a white background this morning, but they came out a bit fuzzy, so I am not going to upload them now.  I will redo later today and forward better photos.  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 03:14:11 pm »

Let me see if I can help you here, actually the pic is not bad taken except the background.Smiley

* joe.jpg (388.53 KB, 600x1000 - viewed 35 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 03:50:21 pm »

Dear Jo,
  A much better photo! I can see all the detail.  I still can't decide on the wear issue.
Good Luck,
Merry Christmas,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:57:48 pm »

Hi Joey,

I guess that Steven's image will give you a better idea of Jo's SB.  I cut out a couple of images to show the waer on the high points which is extensive and the chipped area on the top rim.  This bottle would have had a dramatically flared top rim.

I am also posting a photo showing a snuff bottle of mine next to one in the Victoria & Albert Museum that has been ground at the top rim and chipped on the foot. They are common ailments of these early reticulated SB's

* Porcelain Snuff Bottle JoeArpSnuffForum1g.jpg (158.7 KB, 633x858 - viewed 12 times.)

* Porcelain Snuff Bottle JoeArpSnuffForum2g.jpg (188.78 KB, 782x872 - viewed 19 times.)

* Molded Porcelain snuff1compareQianlong1.jpg (289.85 KB, 999x888 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:11 pm »

I see genuine wear on your bottle and on the V & A's bottle. I'm sorry, I don't see it on Jo's bottle.
The damage at top and bottom could have been done under the argument that NO-ONE would damage a new bottle, even though a genuine, though damaged bottle is worth more cash than a perfect modern one.
 Jo, What is the provenance on your bottle?
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »

Sorry to disagree with you Joey, but they don't make copies with modeling this good – not yet anyway.  If they could, you would have seen a few perfect examples floating around in second tier auctions and offered by some of the typical suspects.  Even IM Chait hasn't had anything like this during the last 5 years - maybe never.  If you look at the red canopy in the second photo I posted, you can see the extensive wear.  It is supposed to be solid red with no white showing at all.  The same goes for the blue pistils on the other photo.  Certain things will kill a value and no one will purposely damage a top rim this badly; it was just a tragic mishap.

If Jo posts some clear images of the foot and top rim, we should be able to agree on this.
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 03:43:46 am »

Dear Joe,
yes I am from this poor Country, Italy. I leave in Piacenza, 60 km South from Milan. I said poor Country because this land is actually in one of the worst periods of its story due to the shame of the politics that we have.
They completely destroyed our culture. It will take a long time to recover from this.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 06:01:08 am »

Dear Tom B.,
   No need to apologise; you are seeing details I'm not getting. I would trust your judgement before my own, because I hate having to make these decisions without handling the bottle; and you have more expertise in Asian ceramics.
   So I'll bow to your superior judgement. In a way, I'm happy, because, based on my understanding, I would have had to tell Jo the bottle was modern; now I can agree that it is late 18th/early 19th, but damaged.
   I would personally restore it with gold lacquer (Robert Kleiner in London has someone who can do it). I know Westerners like to have objects looking pristine, but I prefer the educated Asian collectors' way: to flaunt the repair, in effect, because the object is so superb.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:52 am »

Thanks everyone, I have just gotten some better pictures.  I will upload them shortly.  I am excited about the bottle even with its flaws.   Being an "understated type of girl" I love Joey's idea of contacting Kleiner about getting the needed repairs done to the bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:01 am »

Jo,
  I look forward to seeing the upgraded photos, and recommend you contact Robert Kleiner. Ask him to have it restored for you to original shape (of the neck and base), but using gold lacquer repair rather than trying to make it look pristine with traditional Western porcelain repair.
 Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 10:01:41 am »

I will do that.  Just uploaded a few new photos modified my original posting photos.  I just received descriptions from Kleiner on a couple of bottles I purchased at the Convention.  It will be educational to get his help on this bottle. He has been a pleasure to work with and I am comfortable with his suggestions.  I am learning all lot from all of you!!  Much Thanks ALL!!!!!   Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: