About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 04:16:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Rose Quartz - Is this a snuff bottle

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Rose Quartz - Is this a snuff bottle  (Read 3296 times)
kristidedic@yahoo.com
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:34:25 pm »

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Can anyone tell me if this is a snuff bottle? It was my grandmother's and I always thought it was a perfume bottle.

* RoseQuartzBottle.jpg (94.63 KB, 960x1652 - viewed 29 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:36:26 pm »

If it ever had a little spoon it is broken. This is what the little stick looks like.

* RoseQuartzBottleLid.jpg (93.2 KB, 757x643 - viewed 18 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:46:02 pm »

Hi krist,

Welcome to the forum.

From what I can tell from the pic, its a very nice Rose quartz snuff bottle.

I will let the stone expert here to help more on it.

PS, what the height of this bottle?

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:21 pm »

Thanks Steven! The height with the stopper is just under 3.5". I am in difficult financial circumstances (aren't we all right now) and I'm looking to sell this. Any leads on value and where/how to sell it?
Also, would the "spoon" being broken cause it to be greatly diminished in value?
It really is beautiful, here are a few more pics.
Kristi

* Rose Quartz snuff bottle front 2.jpg (515.26 KB, 1036x1460 - viewed 27 times.)

* Rose Quartz snuff bottle front 2.jpg (515.26 KB, 1036x1460 - viewed 22 times.)

* Rose Quartz snuff bottle front 3.jpg (594.91 KB, 977x1179 - viewed 22 times.)

* Rose Quartz snuff bottle front.jpg (481.02 KB, 1036x1460 - viewed 17 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »

OOPS I duplicated.

* Rose Quartz snuff bottle side.jpg (578.59 KB, 933x1216 - viewed 26 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:30:05 pm »

Hi Kristi,

If its a antique bottle, then its valuable, if its just a modern reproduction,you still should be able to get a couple of hundreds dollars out of it  .

The spoon is easy to be replaced, and it won't diminish the price much, it looks old to me, but I don't have much experience on stone, wait for while, I believe that we have some experts here to help you out.

you can contact the  local auction house or antique store see if they interested it or not, or another place is ebay, there are hundreds bottles sold there everyday, if its good bottle, it will fetch good price.

If you are lucky, some of our forum members might give you some advise on the price, and might give  a offer, you will never know.Smiley

Good luck!

Steven
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:41:33 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:30:50 pm »

BTW, can you tell us if its well hollowed or not.
Report Spam   Logged

kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:37 pm »

Steven,
It's definitely not recent. My grandparents traveled all around the world in the 1930's through the 60's. I'm certain that they would have purchased it overseas during that time-frame.

I'm not sure what you mean by "well hollowed out". Do you mean how deep/wide the inside is?
I am attaching a picture I took a week or so ago of me holding it up to the light. You can sort of see the dimensions of the inside.

* IMAG0488.jpg (443.01 KB, 2048x1216 - viewed 33 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:32 pm »

I didn't realize that the picture was so big. I cropped it down. It is out of focus, but you can still see the outline of the core.

* Rose Quartz bottle against the light.jpg (155.57 KB, 360x444 - viewed 25 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:53:08 pm »

Hi kristi,

it looked like that its not well hollowed as I can tell,which not a good sign for an antique bottle, and the bottle is a little too large(3.5"), I would think its not that old. anyway, that is just my 2 cents, will wait the experts chip in.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 12:13:34 am »

Hi Kristi,

Firstly, welcome to the forum! It's always good to see new names appear on our posts. It was not so many months ago (5 in fact) that I was 'newbie' here.

The bottle you have is a type of snuff bottle that collectors call a 'cabinet piece'. In other words it was made primarily for ornamental purposes. That does not mean that it cannot function as a snuff container, only that it was not made with practical use in mind. As Steven said, the limited internal hollowing is one indicator that it is not an old bottle intended for use.

It is hard to make value judgements without seeing more of the details like the lip face (view from top, without stopper) and the base of the foot. Is it recessed, surrounded by a footrim, or flat? From the pictures alone I would date it to the mid-20th century, probably 1960s, although it could be slightly earlier. It is unlikely to pre-date 1950s. Having said that, some very fine quality clear quartz, amethyst, tourmaline and aquamarine bottles were produced during that time, several of which are now in well-known collections. The rose quartz used on your bottle has a really attractive deep colour, and the carving looks reasonably well executed.

If I were you, I would hold on to it as long as you can. It can only appreciate in value.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:45 am »

Thanks Wattana. Here are pictures of the lip face and bottom.

* Rose Quartz snuff bottle bottom.jpg (96.78 KB, 360x316 - viewed 26 times.)

* Rose Quartz snuff bottle lip face.jpg (99.14 KB, 360x313 - viewed 25 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:51 am »

It does seem to me that the lip face opening is awfully small to try to scoop anything out of.... The carving is nice - very deep.
Report Spam   Logged
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 10:25:52 am »

Welcome I am a newby too!  I vote that you hang on to it too!  I think it is probably not too old, but pleasing to the eye.  I am all for keeping family pieces and this is a treasure to have something  special like this from your grandmother. To me that gives it Memory Value which you can not replace!  Jo 
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 12:22:33 am »

Kristi,

Thanks for the extra photos.  It is a nicely carved bottle, but I would still date it to around 1960. It is carved from an exceptionally attractive piece of rose quartz. Usually bottles made of this material are far more opaque and with a lighter tone of pink. Yours has a rich hue and depth of clarity.

Jo made a good point. Now you have two good reasons to hang on to it!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 01:23:23 am »

Thanks Tom. I agree that it's worth keeping. Unfortunately I have to sell it so that I will have money to pay my rent.  Undecided
Sometimes we just don't get to do what we want.
Report Spam   Logged
kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 01:31:15 am »

There is actually a collector interested in it (even though I told him it was a cabinet piece). I guess that he just likes it because of the things you mentioned, the color and transparency. I have no idea what kind of price to ask. I saw a similar one listed online for $650. From what I now know I'd say that that one is a cabinet piece too.
http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/antique-carved-rose-quartz-snuff-bottle-18-p-053cf525b1
I think that mine is prettier, but what do I know?
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 02:07:20 am »

Kristi,

In my opinion your bottle is of better quality than the one from I.M. Chait's auction. They were very lucky to get that price for it. I would not have valued it at more than $300-400, even without the "minor chips".

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Steven

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 09:17:06 am »

Hi Kristi,

We all know that the life is hard sometimes, just hope that you can do well on the bottle.

Here is some lists of ebay for your reference. I think that Tom have nailed the value of it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=rose+quartz&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=rose+quartz+snuff+bottle&_sacat=0

Good luck! and have a wonderful holiday!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

kristidedic@yahoo.com
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 10:03:17 am »

Steven, Tom and Joe,

Thanks for all of your input. I saw Robert Hall's snuff bottle website and emailed him.

http://www.snuffbottle.com/

He actually wants to come and see it and may be interested in purchasing it! I am excited because he is a well-known collector. Have any of you heard of him?

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: