About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 08:39:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A hand shaped bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A hand shaped bottle  (Read 2726 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:02 am »

Thank you dear Joey, Steven and Charll.
Dear Charll, I am not expert of glass making technique, but, going by what seems logical to me, and at the same time admitting that there are some sign of molding technique (the ribs on the sides of the intermediate fingers), I can't understand how all this can be made by blowing the glass into a mold. I imagine that, if made that way, one has first to blow the outer layer, the amber color one. OK, then the maker can drop inside the red and black dots. Very good. Then he has to blow inside this the opaque layer of glass. Here is the problem. How can it adhere so perfectly everywhere? There must be air trapped between the two layers at least in some point, no? And how can this last layer go inside the narrow holes of the fingers and distribute itself uniformly all around the finger? I would expect that it will fill the finger, not take the tubular form.
Beside that, I have no explication for the shape taken by the opaque inner layer at the sides of the fingers, as seen in the cross section view of the first image of my second post. I cn't explain that but I would exclude that a blown glass inside a mold can produce that shape. Instead, I suppose (just a personal supposition, I can't prove it) that if you imagine to have the big bubble made by the two layers of glass still in malleable state and by means of the clips you pull out the fingers, then you have the maximum stretching of the glass paste just at the joining points between the fingers. I mean that at the base of the fingers the glass is pulled in two opposite directions, on one side toward the left finger and on the other side toward the right finger. This forces can produce that narrowing profile at the sides of the fingers. To be clear, the same that happens if you open your hand as seen in the picture below.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_1.jpg (68.18 KB, 800x562 - viewed 23 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: