About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 11:24:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Brass Metal Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brass Metal Snuff Bottle  (Read 493 times)
lilrhinotx
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:38:54 pm »

Can someone please help me out. I found this brass metal snuff bottle at an estate sale. It was kept in the family dating back to the 19th century. Any additional information is much appreciated. thanks

* P1140817.JPG (1755.92 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 32 times.)

* P1140813.JPG (1735.22 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 23 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »

Hi there,

You might repost the second image with small size and on focus, its really hard to tell from the pic right now.

it looks old, but I don't really think its that old, I mean 19th.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:24:24 pm »

I suspect that bottle should have very similar date with this one.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/13033057_a-enamel-painted-brass-snuff-bottle

also there is a estimate there for your reference, the estimate might a little too high tho.

I wish this helps.
Report Spam   Logged

lilrhinotx
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:33:06 pm »

Thanks, and here are some better pictures.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:55:50 pm by lilrhinotx » Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:49:59 pm »

Hi Lilrhinotx,

Firstly, welcome to the forum! It's always good to see new members post something.

However, I need to repeat Steven's comment about image SIZE. What he meant was 'smaller file size'. Your files are each around 1,700KB. Our administrator (George) has asked that we try to limit each picture to under 400KB. Two reasons:
One is that larger pics use up more storage space on the forum, and space = extra cost for George (who runs this forum out of the kindness of his heart).
Two is that when we click on the image to see it at a larger scale, it blows up out of all proportion if it is much over 300KB.

If you want to replace your images with resized lo-res pics, that is easy to do. Simply click on the "Modify" button above the top right-hand corner of your post, and amend. BTW, no one else can modify your own posts. That's your call.

Now, to get back to your question, I tend to agree with Steven on age, but it is really hard to tell from your pictures.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

lilrhinotx
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:56:09 pm »

oh sorry about that
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:01:04 pm »

No problem. Look forward to being able to say more about your bottle when you can post some sharper pics.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:39:45 am »

Yes, welcome to the forum !

I notice you have it up for auction...

Good luck !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal