About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 12:56:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

I Have Recently Found This Bottle, Can Anyone Help?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I Have Recently Found This Bottle, Can Anyone Help?  (Read 1760 times)
Cece
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »

I was looking through my stuff and one of my friends had put a bag of what I thought was all junk in one of my boxes. Then I saw this bottle and grew curious about it since I had never seen one and am into collecting all kinds of bottles. I'm hoping I'm able to post the pics without trouble. They are not the greatest quality (camera phone) and it looks a lot neater in person. The painting is all on the inside, and both sides are different. It appears to be signed in some way on one side?
Front...close up:

Back close up ( a bit blurry..sorry)

Front further away:

Back further away:

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cece
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:10:06 pm »

Also...it seems to be made out of crystal and you can't tell by the coloring in these pics, but the frosted part has a purplish tint. As I said it's much better in person...
Report Spam   Logged
Cece
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:26:39 pm »

Sorry...I think I posted this in the wrong section. Could an admin possibly move it to the appropriate one for these types of bottles? Thank you. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:47:08 pm »

Welcome to the forum Cece!

Its a bottle painted in 1986 in 'one bottle studio' which its a most important inside painting school in china.

I would say its a student bottle, since the painting and calligraphy is kind of lose, but its certainly a interesting piece.

It looks like a man made crystal to me, which is a little higher density than the normal glass, so its a little heavier.

Hope this helps.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Cece
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:06:16 pm »

Thank you so much. That helps tremendously. You really know your stuff. Thank you for the welcome, and have a great evening. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 11:36:37 pm »

We see a lot of these shaped bottles, but rarely see one with a unique and interesting painting..

I would certainly pick this one to add to my collection.. I like it a lot !

Yes... Will move this to the right board... It would have been hard for you to know which one to post it in without knowing it's approx age..

In this bottles case, it is considered a Modern Period ( M ) ..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:27:30 am »

Charity,

Nice contemporary leaded crystal IPB, and I see you got some help from Steven.  Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Forum.

Charll
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:29:31 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:11:24 am »

I have seen several inside painted bottles of almost exactly the same shape. As Steven and Charll say, it is made of leaded glass (man-made crystal). From the shape, I would say this bottle is possibly not blown in the traditional way, but hewn out of a solid slab of glass. In other words, it is made in much the same way as a natural rock crystal bottle.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Cece
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 01:16:50 pm »

Wow..I really appreciate all of your guys' input! It really does look cool, especially in person. It;s unfortunate that there is no lid, but still. Smiley I really do appreciate your responses. I was lost...lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Cece
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:21:56 pm »

We see a lot of these shaped bottles, but rarely see one with a unique and interesting painting..

I would certainly pick this one to add to my collection.. I like it a lot !

Yes... Will move this to the right board... It would have been hard for you to know which one to post it in without knowing it's approx age..

In this bottles case, it is considered a Modern Period ( M ) ..
Thank you. Smiley And thank you for moving it to the correct area. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Cece
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:14 pm »

The pictures I posted last night do not really look like the bottle does in person and my phone does not take the greatest pics. I took some more today that are more accurate, as it has a purple tint on the frosted part. I don't know if that's from the painting (?) or what.....These pics still are not great, but the color is closer. Smiley I also took a pic of the bottom.

Bottom:

Sorry if I'm boring you all.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 09:51:58 pm »

Your not boring us at all !

When you are talking about a tint.. Are you looking at the frost appearance, and thinking it is tinted ?

I was, and still am going to hunt the themes on this bottle.. It is a common one, but just on the tip of my tongue right now !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »

The theme should be 18 luohan monks pictures, 9 on each side, you might count it .Smiley

* 18luohuan.jpg (73.1 KB, 800x298 - viewed 12 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Cece
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »

Thanks guys...and as far as the tint..it just appears to have a purple tint on the frosted part. Kind of hard to explain.....Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 02:07:41 pm »

Hi Cece,

I think I know what you are talking about, I have a lead crystal bottle has the same tint, but its kind of pinkish instead of purplish, and the color looks totally different from under and the sun light and artificial lights.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Cece
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 07:58:58 pm »

Yeah...exactly. Smiley It is pretty cool, really, but of course I can't seem to find a thing online about this bottle. Even going with the theme I was told above. I can tell upon closer inspection there is a couple of small flaws, such as paint being out of the lines, etc... It's strange..I see new things every time I study it...lol. I wish the cap had been in that bag. Maybe I'll have to take another look. It could have fallen off and I missed it.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »

Hi Charity,

The animals are also my favorite subject, sharing a bottle I bought recently. its painted in 1980s.

Its not a great bottle, but its very very cute.Smiley

* cat.JPG (170.26 KB, 794x1200 - viewed 17 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 08:49:40 pm »

but of course I can't seem to find a thing online about this bottle. Even going with the theme I was told above. I can tell upon closer inspection there is a couple of small flaws, such as paint being out of the lines, etc... It's strange..I see new things every time I study it...lol. I wish the cap had been in that bag. Maybe I'll have to take another look. It could have fallen off and I missed it.  Smiley

Hi Charity,

I think you have already knew almost everything about your bottle, what exactly you are looking for your bottle, you will never find a exactly same one, maybe similar, since every bottle is hand painted, so its one of a kind. that is the beauty of the snuff bottle.

Let me know what you are looking for. I might help you out, I was called by our forum members PI steven, which means private investigator.Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Cece
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

Hi Charity,

The animals are also my favorite subject, sharing a bottle I bought recently. its painted in 1980s.

Its not a great bottle, but its very very cute.Smiley

Oh, I love that!!! Those are the kind I would love to have a collection of. Nothing but animals...LOL
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 02:09:30 pm »

Thanks Charity,

I bet you will love this one as well , the smallest snuff bottle with 100 animals painted.Smiley

* 3014299431029.jpg (67.05 KB, 579x614 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:13:35 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: