About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 10:55:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Rose crackle glaze

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rose crackle glaze  (Read 2396 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:52 pm »

Thanks Steven,

Yes, it is already quiet. I know some are attending the ICSBS Convention in Portland. Unfortunately, I am not one of them! My trip is to the UK to visit family.

Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 01:46:54 am »

Enjoy your trip and the stay with your family dear Tom.
Ah, now I understand why Joey is not posting since a while. It must be because of the conventions. I will take the opportunity to spend more time on many things that I have to do, so perhaps I too will post less in the next days.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 05:08:47 am »

Dear Giovanni, Steven and George,

Here is another rose crackle glaze snuff bottle that is being sold by Eldred's upcoming auction. The tone is a little lighter than my own bottle, but it shows that there are other examples around.

Tom

* Eldreds rose crackle glaze 2012-11.jpg (271.76 KB, 750x1395 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 05:27:56 am »

Dera Tom,
I am not so sure that it is the same. May be it is the picture that gives to it a lighter pink tone which indeed is not there?
I don't know.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

Certainly, the Eldreds snuff bottle is a lighter colour than mine, and not a true meiping shape, but it does have a single 'net' of crackle, and is described as 'rose crackle glaze'.

See link - http://www.eldreds.com/auctions/detail/item/180434/sale/756/dept/35

If you remember, a similar bottle in a Bonhams auction had the double net (gold thread and iron wire). I am only trying to establish that rose crackle glaze is not 'unique' to my bottle!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 01:57:50 am »

Dear Tom,
of course I am far from knowing everything, but to my knowlwedge rose crackle did not exist in traditional Chinese ware. I still believe that it is somehow made by some colorant, but I can't prove it.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 04:36:51 am »

In the comment about the  Qianlong Emperor (using the Wade-Giles spelling), it gave 1711 - 1799. That was the period he lived. His reign, which is what is usually listed after the Emperor's reign title ( 'Qianlong' is NOT his name), was 1736 - 1795. He abdicated in favor of his son, the Jiaqing Emperor, so as not to 'outshine' his grandfather, the Kangxi Emperor, who'd reigned 60 years. A form of filial piety.
  Incidentally, Dr. Tuncer (pronounced  'Tunjer' since 'c' sounds like 'j' in Turkish) Someren and his dear wife collect monochrome and  crackle porcelain snuff bottles, displayed them in Palm Beach during the convention last year, and, I believe, had some red, and possibly pink, as well. I'll contact them and ask.r
Shabbat Shalom and Aloha,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 04:48:08 am »

Thanks Joey,

I will be interested to know of any other pink or rose crackle glazed wares.
BTW, what comment about the Qianlong emperor are you referring to? I don't see anything about him on this page.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 06:33:39 am »

Dear Joey,
just to be sure and avoid misunderstanding, we are speaking of pink crackles, not pink glaze, which we know that exist.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 06:08:59 pm »

Tom,   
   Reply #6, under the pic of the ugly bead. Sorry, probably not the most important thing to respond to in the context of the thread, but it bothered me.
  I'll try to contact Tuncer, but I've not got my membership directory here. Say, Tom, send me Tuncer's ( Someren,, Georgia and FLA) info, and I can contact them from here. Please send it to me privately. Thanks,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »

This bottle sold at Quinn’s Auction Galleries this last March for $878 US (which includes buyers premium) and was resold on November 10th at Kimballs Auction and Estate Services for $1800 US (hammer price and does not include buyers premium).

Chinese porcelain snuff bottle, pink/white glaze-
A Chinese porcelain snuff bottle with pink over white glaze.  c.1800-1880.  Of tapering cylinder form with concave base and flared neck. With exaggerated crazing, and pink glaze over white ground.  Rose quartz cabochon stopper.  From the Estate of Edmund F. Dwyer. Sotheby's, Lot 148, 1987.  3 1/4" in height.  Provenance from the Collection of John W. Sinclair, California.  Condition Very good.

A bottle I was trying to acquire in both auctions with no luck.  Missed it at Quinn's by just $25.  Cry  Charll

* Pink_Mono1.jpg (27.68 KB, 235x480 - viewed 31 times.)

* Pink_Mono3.jpg (30.25 KB, 258x480 - viewed 21 times.)

* Pink_Mono4.jpg (37.1 KB, 381x480 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 10:50:03 pm »

Got it, Giovanni.
  Pink crackle. OK,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 01:33:21 pm »

Dear Charll,
is that the description provided by Sotheby's? If so, it is at my eyes a further prove that sometime they are completely off. Where is there the pink glaze? I see pink crackles, not pink glaze.
I had some contact in the past with Sptheby's in London and have been always very frustrated to see how they judge a piece more based on its provenance than based on their own competence.
That bottle has pink stained crackles, the matter is to determine when they have been stained with that color.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »

Thanks Charll,

An attarctive bottle, if a little over-valued in my opinion (at $1,800). But I agree with Giovanni......it appears to be a creamy-white glazed bottle with rose or pink stained crackle. For expediency, I refer to them as "rose-crackle porcelain".

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: