About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:54:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A bottle and its big mate (2) - A yixing bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A bottle and its big mate (2) - A yixing bottle  (Read 1805 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:41 am »

Hi James ,

Thank you for sharing, will be interested in watching it.Smiley

Yu Guang can't be a surname, since there is no such surname in China.Smiley

The link is a very good reference for the Yixing Mark, there are almost 100 marks over there,( roughly:)), I bet someone like Jame will be interested in it.

http://www.chineseantiques.com.cn/thread-90602-1-1.html

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Lotus Flower
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:08 am »

Thanks Steven!

Well look at the first image, a tripod vessel just like Giovanni's!
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 11:41:20 am »

Hi James,

It looks like, but its not, the first one is a Trademark of 'Golden Ding', and it was created by craftman's name 吴德盛(wu dengsheng),  I mean it looks like a Ding, but its a signature of 吴德盛.

Keeping looking:) I bet the craftman's name also hidden on the top of the Ding on Giovanni's potter, but just can't figure it out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:44:44 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Lotus Flower
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 12:06:35 pm »

That's so clever how he has incorporated his name into that shape, amazing!
Report Spam   Logged
Steven

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:10 pm »

Hi James,

I am really enjoyed to watch the video you post, and I can't wait to find the second section of the video which introduced how to make the lid, so here its:)

Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 12:29:40 pm »

Steven and James, you are so good! You are impressing me. To tell all the story, I have always been not so minded about Yixing ware, I even did ask myself why some collectors was so excited about them.  After having bought the snuff bottle, I didn't realize that it were Yixing. Then after a few months the same collector sold me four teapots. One was a rare cadogan famille verte Kangxi winepot, which I still have it because it is damaged and repaired. Another one was a blanc de Chine Dehua melon shaped teapot (actually the auctions houses call them winepot), then two Yixing teapots, this one and a much nice one. The melon shaped Dehua and the other Yixing, called by the auction house Zhisha teapot, I did sold through an auction house. That one was a square shaped one, and the lid too was square. What impressed me was the fact that the lid was absolutely symmetrical, it was possible to rotate it at any position and it was always perfectly sitting. The four sides were identical.
This one I kept because it is the big brother of the snuff bottle, and also because it has a crack on one side.

Dear James, as said I was not so minded about this type of ware, but now I am really shocked after seeing the movie posted by you, really impressive! I did post the teapot on Gotheborg just for comparison with the snuff bottle a while ago. It will be good to start a thread there, because there are some members fond on Yixing ware.
Thank you very much
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 12:33:33 pm »

Dear James,
it takes time to me to write down my texts, you have psot while I was writing. Is there the name hided in the bronze censer mark? I can't see it! Perhaps in the handles?
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 11:59:59 pm »

Hi James,

Thank you for sharing the video link - what amazing craftsmanship! Like Giovanni, I was attracted to Yixing ware, but never really over-excited by it. I can now look at it in a new way.

Steven, I too cannot "see" any characters forming a name in the Ding mark. They must be very well hidden!

What a great thread this has turned out to be, all thanks to Giovanni's teapot!  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 06:59:52 am »

Dear all,
a yixing bottle with similar decoration but a slight different shape has been sold at Christies in 2008:
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/salebrowse.aspx?intsaleid=21542&viewType=gridview
Here I am posting the picture. It has been dated by the auction house to 19th century.
Giovanni

* Christies.JPG (33.29 KB, 593x450 - viewed 20 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 10:53:55 am »

I was watching this one on ebay the other day, quite interesting, the glazed part is totally oppsite as it normally done. which didn't bug me much, the only thing bothered me is the foot rim, it looks too deep to me, just looked not righ, and blue color is off from the ones on Christies and Bonhams.

Maybe someone here can tell a little bit more about the bottle.Smiley

* yixing3.jpg (434.67 KB, 533x869 - viewed 26 times.)

* yixing1.jpg (398.3 KB, 488x765 - viewed 22 times.)

* yixing2.jpg (325.67 KB, 542x577 - viewed 19 times.)

* yixing4.jpg (547.43 KB, 547x1076 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:04:52 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 02:16:23 pm »

James,
 That lady is awe-ispiring! Thank you for sharing that with us.
I love Yixing, although my preference is for slip decorated as opposed to enamelled wares.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »

Hi Steven,

The deep footrim on the eBay bottle does not bother me at all. Many Yixing wares have a deep foot, although it is rare in snuff bottles.

But I agree with you that the blue colour shade looks wrong. Also, the quality of the flower painting is very sloppy. A 19th century Yixing artist would never produce anything of such poor quality.

Finally, that must be the WORST stopper match of the year....maybe of the decade!!!  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Steven

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2012, 10:21:46 pm »

Finally, that must be the WORST stopper match of the year....maybe of the decade!!!  Grin

I have to copy that Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 02:12:43 am »

Dear Steven, by re-reading your post number 1323 I understand now that you were referring to the mark that we can see in the Chinese site, not to the one on my teapot.
Dear Tom, I share your opinion about the worst stopper/bottle matching of the year. May be who did that matching is biased by an hobby that I too have, collect mushrooms in the woodland, haha.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Lotus Flower
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 07:58:21 am »

The video is great isn't it Smiley

Giovanni, I found some more information on the 'ding' mark in the first image of Steven's link.

Look in the footnotes of this item:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19621/lot/261/

I know it is not the same mark, as Steven has pointed out, but you might be able to follow the trail backwards and the marks might be related somehow. It's a longshot, but I wonder if your mark is an earlier, more primitive version of that shop's mark?

James
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:00:11 am by Lotus Flower » Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 08:24:16 am »

Thank you dear James, very interesting. I think that I will start a thread on Gborg about this teapot, because there is a "Yixing section" there. Will inform you guys about the result. As for my bottle, if I am not wrong it has an older feeling than the one with a similar decoration posted here above by Steven. And I like the cilyndrical shape so much.
Thank you all, it has been really interesting.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: