About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:15:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Jill ( Guo Jie) 's Autumn 2012 catologue

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jill ( Guo Jie) 's Autumn 2012 catologue  (Read 1036 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: October 06, 2012, 12:28:30 am »

Hi All

Last  night   Jill  and  her   artist-husband  Li  Hui  came  to  our  little    HK  apartment  for   hot-pot

Also  present  was  Kenny  Chan  (younger brother  of   Rosanne   Chan   who   runs  CA  Design,  which  publishes the   ICSBS   journal and also  many  famous   books  on  snuff  bottles,  including the   complete   Bloch  7  - volume  series )  

Rosanne  and   Kenny's  office  is  literally 100  meters   from my  office, which is  sat atop the  Methodist  Church  building in Wanchai  (  yes   -  in HK   we   even  have   offices  built  above   Churches ! ) , and  both  Rosanne and  Kenny  worship   at   that  Methodist  Church  -  what a wonderful   coincidence

Also  present    was   Guan  Shicun, the   visiting    artist-of-the-month at   China   Arts and  Crafts,  a   really  genuine   guy,  and   with  whom I  spent a   wonderful   day  last  time  I visited   Hengshui  in 4.2012  

That alone   is   reason  for  this   posting but    what  I really  want to   share  is  Jill's  latest    catalogue

It  is      simply  out  of this   world  :  it   deserves  to  be   sold  as  an  art book  in its  own  right

I  just cannot  believe  how  far  Jill and  Li Hui  have   come  since they  published  their    first   catalogue   in   2009,  which   by  comparison   with    the   Autumn   2012   catalogue  now  looks  like   an  amateur     cut-n-paste  knock-off

I    will   work  ASAP  to  get   Jill's   Autumn  2012   catalogue  onto   Bill's   website  as  soon as  I have  the    soft  copy  (  maybe   December)    but  I  do   promise  you  -  no  BS  -  I    have never seen    such a beautiful   catalogue  

Also  the  prices    Jill  is  asking  are  very      reasonable     and   par for the   course :  mostly  in the   US$1,500   range   (  +/-  US$500)  which is  really   fair  pricing    for the    quality  of the  bottles

These   days   the  asking  price  for   any    really  good  modern bottle  is  US$1,000  +  and  can   easily  exceed  US$2,000

( but  NOT the    crazy   US$10K =  prices  now  being asked   in  CAC !     And  based    on my   recent   visit  to  S'pore,  prices  there  for  the equivalent   quality were  in the   US$ 5K  range )    

I   had  already  booked   4 x   superb  Song Yi  Ming  bottles   fro  Jill's  Autumn  collection   1   x   tall  one  and  3   x  mini- bottles,   of the  like  I never  saw  before (Numbers 7,8,9 10   in the   catalogue), which  after  my special    discount   with  Jill  as a  long-standing  customer   cost me  ...  well    ( sorry I cannot  tell   you, but   certainly  very good  value  for  money )    

Robert   Grootveld   had   also   booked   several bottles  / pre-sold in the catalogue.  

And   there   was a   simply   SUPERB  Yuan Shi Jia  bottle  list  priced  at    US$1,750,  far  and  above   anything  Yuan Shi Jia   ever  painted   before,   which  I  swapped    with   Jill   for  my  only   remaining   antique  bottle  -  by  Yan  Yu Tian,  authenticated  by  Ian  Hardy   via  email and    which  Pat  had   his   eye   on  when   he   was  at my  home   a  month or  so  ago    ....   and  I  even  offered  to  gift  it  to Pat  because  I    had   no "feeling"   for  that bottle   -  sorry   Pat,  that bottle  is  now  gone to  Jill)

I  just  wanted  this  superb   Yuan  Shi Jia  bottle   after  all the   effort   Steven and  I  put  into   translating    the  commentary  on his  work  by  Wang Guan Yu

More   updates   anon

Cheers   Peter

PS :  Isn't the  FORUM  SO   EXCITING  ?    Well  I think so  !

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:44:58 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:16:11 am »

Peter,
   Will there be anything left for those of us who see Guo Jie and Li Hui in Portland in 10 days?  Cry Cry Wink
Shabbat Shalom,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:55:26 pm »

Peter,

There are some great advantages in being located where you are and in conjunction with the contacts made.  We have some similar tastes in IP landscape bottles. Shortly after I received Jill’s catalog, I emailed her about my interest in the Song Yi Ming landscape bottle on page 7, only to find out it was spoken for.  Nice to know it is going to a wonderful home.  Some real sweet bottles in your purchase lot.  Enjoy them all!!!!

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 04:02:45 am »

Hi Charll

yes  indeed, I  bought  the   SYM on page 7 , also the    triplet  mini  bottles  on   pages  8,9,10  which   were    quite  unique   - I never  saw  any bottles  like  that before  ( I recall  someone  telling me  that   SYM  himself  made the  bottles .. maybe  it  was  Misu     who told me that )

The   bottle  on page  6  is   still  unsold , as  far  as  I know,  and the  price  which  Jill  Listed   is   very   reasonable

( In fact  I  think  SYM is   under -pricing  himself these   days ,  dare  I   say  it ?  Anyway  -   the  prices  via  Jill  are   very much  market prices, in my  opinion,  as  opposed to   what  CAC is  now  charging  for far  inferior work)

Look at the two  Yuan  Shijia bottles  on   pp  21  and   22  

I loved them  both ,  but  of the    two  I    chose  #22  just because  I  love   combinations  of    red/  grey/ black

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 04:41:10 am »

Peter,
   My previous comment was churlish, and I apologise. I'm going to be 'Charllish' and compliment you on your great taste, and may you enjoy those beautiful bottles for many years to come.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:07:56 pm »

Hi Joey

Wink

I think we   will see  enormous  progress  in  VMIPBs  in the   next  few years  : both  in  painting   skill and   - more  important  - in creativity

So there   will be lots  of  beautiful  bottles  for  everyone   in the   years  to  come    Cheesy 

And  I  have  come to the end  of the  time  when I can afford  to  buy  bottles   every month   now  that  I am  facing  retirement   Embarrassed

I have always  been a  huge  fan  of   Song  Yiming , both his  work  (  he   was the   first   artist  whose   work I seriously  collected)  and  the  person : he   is a  role-model to a  whole  up-coming group of  artists

What I like  most of  all   is the  very  fine   and delicate   detail  in his   work  and his use  of  pastel  shades

The    SYM  bottles   which I bought , I   first   saw   several months  ago in Jill's    BJ   shop   when  she was  at  an early stage of  assembling this  latest      group of bottles  for  sale .  I "booked"   these bottles,  but  I left them in her  shop   until  Li Hui  had  finished  all the  photographs   in  mid- summer.

When you  see  Jill's  latest  catalogue  you  will  be   amazed, I am sure , at the  pure    beauty of  the  presentation and   photos .   One of the  best  catalogues  I have  ever seen  by anyone  - even though   she  said  she  was  not happy with the  printing   quality  - although   to my  untrained   eye the  printing   quality is   very  good (  of  course     you cannot   compare    a   catalogue   with   one  of  CA  Design's   professional  books  of  someone's  personal  collection )

Her  prices,  although  generally    2  x  more    than     about   2  years   ago,  are   what   the  best   VMIPB artists are  now  charging,  which I  personally  think  is  par  for the  course .   It's  almost impossible  to  get   any decent   VMIPB  these  days for  under   US$ 1K,  and    US$ 2K  should  be  tops  (  certainly  not  US$3K )

But  interestingly, at the    recent  Bonhams   non-Bloch  auctions  I saw   a few    excellent   ( and I assume  Provenced )  Middle  period   bottles    going for  US$3 - 4K, so  now there's  an  overlap

And  as  we  are seeing  on the  Forum,  there  are   some  real     Middle  period  bargains    being sold  for   only   a  few  hundred  US$  if  one  trusts  one's  judgement on   whether they are  genuine or not

Anyway... enough  for   Sunday night ....

Just buy for  love,  say I

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

KAZ

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:55:06 am »

Hi Peter,

Yes Jill's latest catalogue is really great !
I have seen the 4 bottles you have booked at her shop. Those are beautiful, I love SYM's bottles so much. As you remember, he makes bottles by himself for his IPB. He has a studio for making bottles.

I have obtained Suo Jing 1 and 5, Hou Yingzi 12, Pang Jiafang 13, 14 and 15, Hong Shu 50, and Meng Dehao 85 this time.

While, it seems that snuff bottle exhibition will be held in Beijing in December this year and many artists will be here in Beijing. Are you scheduled to come to Beijing in december ? If yes let's have hotpot dinner together with Jill, Lihui and artists.

Cheers
Misu
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:46 am »

Hi  Misu

Happy   that  you got  some   good  bottles  from Jill  this   time

I  also heard  about the  BJ  exhibition  in December.

I may possibly    go to see  it

Do you  know the   dates?

Cheers  Peter

PS: please   check the   numbers of the  bottles  you bought  - they   do not  correspond  with the  page  numbers  in some  cases
Report Spam   Logged

KAZ

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:40 am »

Peter,

I am sorry for my mistake. The correct numbers of the bottles I bought are as follows;
Pang Jiafang 1 and 5, Hou Yingzi 12, Suo Jing 13, 14 and 15, Hong Shu 50, and Meng Dehao 85.

The BJ exhibition is scheduled to be held from December 19 to 23.

I look forward to meeting with you then in BJ.

Cheers
Misu
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:25:34 am by KAZ » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 03:17:25 pm »

Hi Misu

It's  interesting how  our  tastes   overlap, but only partially  - which is very good  because  it means  we   share a   similar  love  of a   "certain"  kind of bottle / artist,  but  not  exactly the  same  paintings  by   each of those   artists

I can see   from  your  choices  that we  both like traditional  landscapes,  but  whereas  you  prefer  landscape  scenes   which include  village houses/ village scenes / boats / people  figures,  I prefer    scenes   which are  - ideally -  pure  nature  ( mountains, rivers,  waterfalls   etc).  e.g. the   3  x  Suo Jing  bottles  you   bought :  13,14, 15 ( all of  which  are    top class  Suo Jing) ,  whereas  I  would have  chosen   Suo Jing  16  ( but I  already  have  a   Suo  Jing bottle    very  similar to 16  which  I bought  via  Jill  a  year   ago,  which was the  first one he  painted  in that   special     waterfall   theme)

I   love the   Hong Shu  50     with  the  watery /  abstract /  cloud .  This reminds  me  of  my   beautiful   Fu Guoshun .

Please   check  again  the  exhibition  dates  :  I  heard    that  it's   16 - 19  December

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

KAZ

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 05:17:21 pm »

Hi Peter,

Good !  Very nice to hear that our tastes overlap partly as we will be able to swap some bottles in the future.

I will recheck the exhibition dates and RVTG ASAP.

Cheers 
Misu
Report Spam   Logged

KAZ

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:29:24 am »

Peter,

I have rechecked and confirmed that the exhibition will be held from December 19 - 23, and Opening ceremony will be held on December 20.

Misu
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: