About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 12:52:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A Ma Shaoxuan bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Ma Shaoxuan bottle  (Read 1023 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« on: October 02, 2012, 01:31:30 am »

Hi All,

This is up for auction in Zurich:
A FINE INSIDE PAINTED SNUFF BOTTLE BY MA SHAOXUAN. China, height 5 cm.
Estimate: Euros 3,300-5,000

Sorry, I don't have any other images. It doesn't look much like his style or quality of work. Is it genuine?

Tom
PS: I have added a POLL to make it more interesting.

* 462504.jpg (59.85 KB, 305x562 - viewed 56 times.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:52:37 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lotus Flower
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:11 am »

Annoyingly I havent saved a reference in the filename, but I found this image in my database. I have no idea where I saved it from, i may have got it from Hugh Moss' website. I know this is a genuine piece though, else I wouldn't have saved it.

James

* d5046867x.jpg (24.55 KB, 512x502 - viewed 34 times.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:17:35 am by Lotus Flower » Report Spam   Logged
Lotus Flower
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:16:45 am »

Also had this link saved in my files:

http://www.thecranecollection.com/the-collection/inside-painted/middle-school

It's the first bottle on the left. It's a very small picture but you can still see that difference in quality compared to the Zurich example.

Here's a close up of some genuine Ma monkeys, taken from Christies.

Hope these are of some help!

James

* BJBB.jpg (377.72 KB, 829x545 - viewed 32 times.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:22:57 am by Lotus Flower » Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:44:05 am »

Thanks James,

I like the last one best, I personally think those three are all genuine Ma family bottles, I  can't tell if they are From Ma Shaoxuan or other family members ( its really hard, I was trying to do a comparsion about Ma family signature, but its harder than I thought, since theyre not documented well on Ma family and Ma shaoxuan on the Ma family bottles, I will see what I can do.

I only can say, the brush stokes on the first two are not as subtle as the third one.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Lotus Flower
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:16 am »

No problem Steven. On the back of the first bottle I posted, does it mention anything about 'Journey to the West' within the calligraphy? I wondered if this might be the subject matter?

James
Report Spam   Logged
Lotus Flower
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:53:02 am »

As far as my opinion on the Zurich bottle, the spacing of the calligraphy looks very 'off' to me. Do you know what I mean? It seems too spacious. I would say it isn't by Ma himself. Could be a family bottle. Could be an early copy. It does look like it has some age. That's just my opinion Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Lotus Flower
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:57:58 am »

One thing to note with the Zurich bottle: if you look at the lighting, there is a shadow to the front of the bottle. This means it was lit from behind. As we all know: the quality of the painting seems to deterioate when lid from behind doesn't it: like when you hold it up to the light, it looks really messy because you can't see the defined outlines - you just see a transparent mess. So maybe a photo with the right lighting conditions will give a more realistic image of the painting quality. Something to consider Smiley

James
Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:35:02 am »

No problem Steven. On the back of the first bottle I posted, does it mention anything about 'Journey to the West' within the calligraphy? I wondered if this might be the subject matter?

James

Hi James,

The first and second subject is not related with 'Journey to the West' ,but the third one is as I can tell. its similar with a monkey on a horse back scene,which means "promoted generation by generation"
Bees and Monkey together  are consider to be " promoted", I don't know what will consider to be " generation by generation" , will do some reaserch tho.

Good observation on the spacing on the calligraphy, It doesn't bug me much, I assume the painter want to balance the empty space on the right side, but also don't want the calligraphy too big to outstanded the painting ,so he spaced it out more, I personally will accept that.

Steven
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:39:25 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:03:12 pm »

I think it is genuine and by Ma. I've seen this subject before, and Ma did  paint inside quartz bottles of this shape.
Is it by him or someone in his studio? I don't know, so I voted that it was by him (calligraphy looks right).
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 10:18:40 pm »

James, Steven and Joey,

Many thanks for your input. And for bringing to my attention the other bottles with monkey theme. I was not aware that Ma painted almost exactly the same scene elsewhere. The Koller auction house in Zurich is the most reputable in Switzerland, so I am sure they would have checked before describing it as a Ma bottle. But then again, auctioneers do sometimes get it wrong.

To me the one from Zurich is the least impressive of the three monkey bottles posted. It was either painted by Ma on a bad day, or by one his relatives, copied from an earlier original. I vote for one of his relatives.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

hlbb

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:35:10 am »

Of the 4 bottles, I like the last 2 (Crane Collection and Christies) most.  The pictures for the Crane Collection bottle are small, but I like the poem provided in the description.  Not sure if anyone else notice: the Crane Collection refers Joey's Book for similar bottle, but the reference is all wrong (page as well as the bottle itself, maybe the editions are different)

The Christies bottle is obviously superb.  The calligraphy is just 'wow'.

I think the Zurich bottle and the Hugh Moss (?) bottle are both at least from Ma family.  I really would love to know what is on the reverse side of the Zurich bottle.  The poem on the second one is good too.  Not sure if it is original though.   

On that note, just want to clarify.  The monkeys have nothing to do with the 'Journey to the West' (or the Monkey King which is the more famous reference in the western academia)  In fact, the title of the 3 bottles of the same monkey scene is "To be Marquis for Generations"  In Chinese, the word "monkey" (猴) has the same pronunciation as the word "Marquis" (侯).   

In fact, the reverse side of the 2nd bottle is a poem roughly translated to:

Deep in the mountain with the green hill and red leaves;
Enjoying freedom under the howling moon and moaning wind;
Getting drunk or sober by myself in the fishing boat;
I had regretted life as marquis for ten years.

As I described before: typical Chinese scholar mentality.  Worked hard to achieve high official position, then regretted it and went back to the village.   
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:43:48 am »

Thanks Walter,

Always a value-added treat to read your comments.

You sum up the typical Chinese scholar mentality very succinctly. Its implicit sentiment seems to run through so many themes seen on snuff bottles, such as the Four Occupations.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 06:21:55 am »

Walter,
   I'm ashamed! I didn't even know the Crane collection referenced my catalogues! Embarrassed
I will check the bottles later tonight (I have an 'Open Sukka' from now till 17:00; then at 18:30, Christian friends celebrating "The Feast of Tabernacles" (Sukka is Hebrew for Tabernacle or Booth), and get back to you; but I don't remember a Ma Shaoxuan bottle in my collection with a monkey or a gibbon. I have a Chen Zhongsan bottle (D-2 in "THE WORLD IN A BOTTLE"; C-13 in "Worlds in a Bottle").
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 04:09:41 pm »

Hi Guys, I'm back. My last guests left at 17:50, which left me 30 minutes  to have a loo break, pray my afternoon and evening prayers, and freshen up before going to meet my friends at their hotel, 8 min. walk away. I got back at 22:00, and just checked my 24 Ma Shaoxuans. I was right: no monkeys or gibbons. I do have the Chen Zhongsan I mentioned earlier, and in my blue & white porcelain snuff bottle collection, a lot of both.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

hlbb

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:17:43 pm »

The Crane Collection referenced p.11 which is Preface page in my copy.  The bottle it mentioned A6 is Wang Xisan's Empress Dowager; totally unrelated to the monkey bottle.

Be that as it may, the Wang bottle is absolutely amazing.  The portrait itself is done in the style of MSX which is of typical high quality of Wang (see my avatar of the forum).  The calligraphy side was written is clerical script which seems to be a specialty of Wang.  It was an incisive critique of the empress.  I must say the spacing and the strokes combination are near perfect, really a masterpiece.

I have to spend more time with your catalog!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 09:14:02 pm »

The Crane Collection referenced p.11 which is Preface page in my copy.  The bottle it mentioned A6 is Wang Xisan's Empress Dowager; totally unrelated to the monkey bottle.

Joey,

I think you should inform Charles Balbach of the error in the Crane Collection reference. The beauty of 'publishing' one's collection on the web is that it can easily be amended.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 07:28:39 am »

Sorry,   Walter.
  You are right. My WXS Cixi portrait is A-6, p.32 in "Worlds". It isn't in "The World.." since Agatha sold it to me so I could have it in my late father's (z"l) memorial catalogue.

You are right as well, Tom. I'll tell the Crane catalogue people (I've not spoken to Charles since Palm Beach).
Best,
 joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: