About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:23:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

House project !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: House project !  (Read 837 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:12 pm »

Put a few bottles up for sale so as to come up with a few dollars towards a house project ..

Once I reach the goal needed am pulling off any remaining bottles..

Any way..... Maybe some of you will find something you like ..  Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AntiqueSnuffBottles

The biggest expense is the chimney instalation, permit, and inspection for this antique beauty !

Can't wait to get it installed !

http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj612/snuffbottlesplus/Antique%20Wood%20Burning%20Stove/?albumview=slideshow
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:04:46 pm »

Hi George,

That antique chimney is truly a beauty. ;Love it, what is the date of it?
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:11:33 pm »

Thanks Steven !

It is from 1915  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:25:18 pm »

Beautiful chimney George!

In the UK we'd call the 'body' you illustrate in your photos a stove (more fully: a solid-fuel-burning stove). Is that not a word you use in the States?
Love the combination of the two metals - I'm guessing they are cast iron and brass(?).

Tom
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:32:40 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »

Any way..... Maybe some of you will find something you like ..  Smiley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AntiqueSnuffBottles

George,

Your underglaze-blue dragon bottle really appeals to me. I am not familiar with etsy.com - does it work like eBay? Are your prices fixed, or open to bid?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:21:30 am »

Sending you a PM Tom  ..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:28:00 am »

Beautiful chimney George!

In the UK we'd call the 'body' you illustrate in your photos a stove (more fully: a solid-fuel-burning stove). Is that not a word you use in the States?
Love the combination of the two metals - I'm guessing they are cast iron and brass(?).

Tom

Yes, we call these wood burning stoves..  It is lacking the chimney in the pics.. That part is the instalation process..  Our codes here require permit, and special parts to ensure people do not burn their houses down..  We are allowed to install them ourselves, but it is really recommended that a certified contractor does the work..   
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 09:37:42 pm »

Our codes here require permit, and special parts to ensure people do not burn their houses down..  We are allowed to install them ourselves, but it is really recommended that a certified contractor does the work..

George,

Back in the 1980s I was building homes in North Carolina, and had to deal with similar permits. I know how tough those inspectors can be!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 11:55:26 pm »

One of my longest term dealings with inspectors was back when I owned a side sewer excavating company... It was 99% residential work, and yes.. Those darn inspectors ..  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 04:11:42 am »

Hi George

Chimneys  are   complicated  things....  beware  !

My parents  bought a   stove   something like that and    had it  installed  below   an  existing  chimney  in their     very old  house  by an  architect.  But  no matter   what the   architect   did, the   smoke   kept  blowing back into the   room

Finally  in  desperation  they called    a  kind of  Chimneys - R- Us  Mr  Fixit  guy  who pulled  out  a   chimney  design  manual   from the   1880's .  did a   few calculations  and installed    a baffle  ( or  something)  and all was  well.This  guy  explained that    aerodynamics  of    Chimneys   were  all   worked  out   200  years   ago,  but because  no-one uses   Chimneys  any more  the  knowledge has been  mostly   forgotten and  lost.

Cheers

PS :  talking  of  inspectors  - I will  post a  funny  little   story  in the   Pub   to  brighten   everyone's  day
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 04:38:03 am »

This guy explained that aerodynamics of Chimneys were all worked out 200 years ago, but because no-one uses Chimneys any more the knowledge has been mostly forgotten and lost.

Peter,

That is very true, not only of chimneys, but many other "things" from a bygone age. A sad reality...

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: