About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:16:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Lacquer (I hope) bottle

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Lacquer (I hope) bottle  (Read 28607 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »

SHANA TOVA (Happy Jewish New Year)! It starts tonight.

Hi Joey,

Wishing you a Happy Jewish New Year!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 10:31:46 pm »

Hi Giovanni,

Thank you for posting the results of your heat test. It was very interesting to read, and I really appreciated your scientific approach. Maybe you were slightly disappointed there was no pleasant aroma from the burnt chips of lacquer. This may be due to the very small size of the samples, so that no enough was produced to be detectable. Anyway, if the carbonizing process also releases traces of mercury from the cinnabar, it is best NOT to inhale too deeply!

Today I also read the two-way discussion between you and Joey. As you seem to have concluded the discussion, there is nothing useful I can add. Except for one thing...........next time I see a modern cinnabar lacquer bottle in a flea market I will be sure to lift it up and check its weight!  Cheesy

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 11:53:31 pm »

next time I see a modern cinnabar lacquer bottle in a flea market I will be sure to lift it up and check its weight!  Cheesy

Tom

Me too !!
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 01:53:22 am »

Haha, thank you dear Tom!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 07:59:12 am »

Good idea, Guys! Why didn't I think of that?!  Huh
Meanwhile, look at the gold snuff bottle in the Bloch Sale  II, lot 108. It is inscribed 'Jin Hing' (the name of the company founded by  Bob Li's grandfather, then his father's, now his), but described as 'Jin(?)xing', and given a 1780-1900 dating, when Bob's still got the documentation in his shop in LA (his grandfather moved the family to LA during the 1920s, I believe).
Shana Tova, (and thank you to everyone who gave good wishes; And may the whole world do better than last year)
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:48 am »

Meanwhile, look at the gold snuff bottle in the Bloch Sale  II, lot 108. It is inscribed 'Jin Hing' (the name of the company founded by  Bob Li's grandfather, then his father's, now his), but described as 'Jin(?)xing', and given a 1780-1900 dating, when Bob's still got the documentation in his shop in LA (his grandfather moved the family to LA during the 1920s, I believe).

Joey,

That brings to mind a well-known English proverb, which I have modified slightly...
"All that glitters is not (g)OLD."  Wink

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Lotus Flower
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 10:49:21 am »

I have been following this thread with much interest. I still have a life-time's worth of knowledge to learn it seems!

Apologies for my rash observations Giovanni, but I felt like coming out of the shadows and offering an opinion. I may have been very wrong but it probably did me some good anyway.

Can someone tell me what all the black stuff is all over Giovanni's bottle? It's curious.

James
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 12:03:18 pm »

James,
   I think the technical term is 'gunk'. Grin
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »

Can someone tell me what all the black stuff is all over Giovanni's bottle? It's curious.

I wonder if there is not some heat involved during the mold process. Enough that it scorched the resin to a dark color..  The high points could have been polished ( for lack of a better word ) after being removed from the mold.  No idea what would be used to buff or polish out those high points though..

Just a guess.. 
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 12:41:18 pm »

That is a possibility, George... Whoops! I forgot Steven's (and Giovanni's) point. Actually it probably isn't from the mold, since it is carved. It is most likely, 'gunk' my first assumption (choose your favourite type of gunk - shoe polish/other)
 Wink Cheesy

Joey
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:51:05 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:24 pm »

Hi George,

I agree with Giovanni and others that bottle is carved, that means it should not have any mold process involved after being carved. I would guess its just something like shoe polish to make the bottle look old. I have a modern Yixing clay bottle which has same stuff on it too, was trying to clean it, no sucess at all, kind of stiky, really hard to be removed.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 01:31:58 pm »

Dear all,
I am very surprised that you are surprised (no, I am not adding "that I am surprised"Smiley). I have often seen a black background on lacquer ware. I thought it were normal, I mean it can either be there or not. It is probably to imitate red lacquer over a background of black lacquer, as it is sometime seen on lacquer ware. Do you think that on snuff botltes it should not be there? Anyway, that black on my bottle is a paint, badly applied with a brush. I indeed wonder myself if it is better to leave it there or to remove it, but I suppose that it is there since it was made, so better to keep it as it was intended.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 03:01:45 pm »

Hello all,

I just read through this thread for the first time and see that determining whether lacquer is genuine or resin can be the cause of a great deal of unnecessary work.  A very careful examination with a 10 power loupe is always sufficient for an experienced lacquer collector.  The first photos posted were sufficient to determine that Giovanni's bottle is carved and not molded. The first image is of a poor quality molded resin fake that is very easy to identify as such.  

The second image is a 19th century carved cinnabar red lacquer snuff bottle of the type that stood model for Giovanni's bottle. (it was described a Mark & Period by the auctioneer and sold for a respectable $1,950.00) The difference that is easiest to identify is the shape of the waves.    Giovanni's has the "continuous rounded waves" of the Republic of China and later type (after 1912) and the bottle posted here has the "pyramid" shaped waves that were used from the mid-Ming until the end of the Qing dynasty.

* 20thC Lacquer Bottle 07.0cmH 17 Apr09SkinnerMA1.jpg (110.12 KB, 662x800 - viewed 65 times.)

* 19thC Lacquer Bottle 05.7cmH QianlongMk 1,955 Feb12JuliaMaine1.jpg (116.86 KB, 499x700 - viewed 72 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Private Boards

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »

Dear Tom,
you made me so happy. Up to now I was 99% sure that it was a lacquer bottle, now I am completely sure. Thank you. That is a great thing for me because I always thought that real carved bottles are rare. By your dating I understand that it is not really like that. Anyway it is great to have it, I am very happy.
It is good to know that detail about waves, will remember that.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 05:32:21 pm »

Tom B.,
   Now you have got me confused. Do you call 'waves' the 'lappets'  around the base?
I thought they were called 'lappets' or 'lozenges'.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »

Sure do like the one 19th century bottle !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Tom B.
Private Boards

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 10:13:09 pm »

Hi Joey,

Sorry for the confusion, but im haste I used the wrong terminology.  I should have said that the biggest difference is in the way the "water diaper pattern" is drawn.  I have attached a clarifying photo.  I will try to be more concise in the future.

Report Spam   Logged

Best regards,

Tom B.

Private Boards

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 02:48:33 am »

Dear Tom B.,
    No problem. I understand now. Yes I had looked at the quality and style of the diaper patterns myself, as a way to authenticate lacquer bottles.
Thanks for the clarification,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2014, 07:11:40 am »

Want to add this link here that Pat shared in another topic ..

Separating genuine lacquer from plastic.

http://www.realorrepro.com/article/Cinnabar
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2014, 09:39:23 am »

Thanks George and Pat. A very useful link.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:00:08 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: