About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 09:35:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Lacquer (I hope) bottle

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Lacquer (I hope) bottle  (Read 28736 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 03:49:16 pm »

Dear Tom and all,
I performed the test. I placed under the microscope the brittles over a thin stainless steel sheet and below the sheet I lit a cigarette lighter (although I did never smoke:)). I could also record the temperature but it would take too long, so since the flame of the lighter can go well beyond the burning temperature of most organic materials, I found it un-necessary. The first picture below (taken through the microscope) is showing the brittles as they are starting to turn brown. The second picture is showing them after turning carbonized. I kept the flame for a good time after that, but no sign of melting and they even start to float around, probably subject to electrostatic charges due to the high temperature. I didn’t felt the perfume smell:) but also no smell at all.
Well it really seems that there are high chances that I did found my first genuine lacquer snuff bottle.
Dear Joey I appreciate your comments about the quality of the bottle, even more because they comes from a person hat has handled Imperial quality bottles. In fact I bought it because although not expert I found that the quality was superior to the average, being my reference for high quality the pictures of Christie’s bottle.  Of course I am not saying that this bottle has the same quality, what I mean is that, judging by the pictures, it seems to me that the quality of the carving is not too much far. Most probably, seen both in reality side by side, the difference could be dramatic. So I am very happy with the purchase, regardless the real age of the bottle. For 100 euro not a bad purchase.
I bought the bottle last Saturday together with the Wang YaLin IP bottle and my first enamel on metal bottle from a collector who collect a lot of stuffs. He has many bottles but almost all are very bad reproduction, fake and so on. The good ones are very few. He show me a porcelain bottle with dragons in iron red. Under it an apocryphal Kangxi mark. He said that he bought it in an antique shop in Austria, at very high price, because the antiquarian assured him that it was Kangxi m&p. I told him that the bottle was for sure genuine, but no doubt Guangxu and not Kangxi. Both Guangxu and Kangxi dragons has they own very typical characteristics.
Well it has been a very instructive discussion to me dear friends, I got from you a lot of information of which I was not aware; I thank you all very much.
Giovanni

* DSCF3889r.JPG (95.19 KB, 787x689 - viewed 37 times.)

* DSCF3895t.JPG (88.83 KB, 788x657 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: