About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:07:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

eldreds

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eldreds  (Read 917 times)
Lotus Flower
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:04:30 am »

is anyone watching the auction? i am stunned at how cheaply things are selling, it is making me think if some items are not right?

James
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:59:04 am »

James,
   Among veteran snuff bottle collectors, there is a saying," Eldred's is to snuff bottle collectors as soil is to doctors; it is where you hide your mistakes!"  Having said that, I've acquired some real treasures at Eldred's over the years; in fact, thanks to Steven, I acquired a real sleeper at Eldred's in mid-April this year.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Lotus Flower
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:09:34 am »

Hi Joey, that certainly seems the case. Inside painted bottles described as being by the great masters: Ding Erzhong, Zhou Leyuan etc. selling for under $1000! I was going to bid on some items later in the auction but i have been put right off! It is so hard for me to determine age through photographs and as an overseas buyer (I am in the UK) I must trust auction house descriptions. Can be very tricky buying without handling can't it?

James
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:08:14 pm »

James,
   I don't usually bid without handling a bottle, but Steven helped me with three bottles, a true Shandong master's bottle (actually at Eldred's!), another in Seattle (my cousin, who lives 2 blocks from the auction house, bid for me), and I've got Robert Kleiner, the dealer, to check for damage, etc., on a bottle in Doyle's in NYC in a few weeks (he was going anyway).
 You are smart to be cautious, but there are many auctions in the UK with good bottles. Where are you in the UK?
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Lotus Flower
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:27 pm »

Hi Joey. I spend time between South London and Kent. I buy regularly from UK auctions, but they aren't frequent enough to satisfy my itch, so am starting to look abroad but am slowly realising its probably best to stick to bottles you can touch and to stick to auction houses you can have a clear communication with.  Smiley

James
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:46:57 pm »

James,
 If you don't already, buy yourself a group of serious snuff bottle books, and contact Susan Page at Robert Hall Ltd. She is on holidays right now, but should be back in a week or so. I'm not friendly with Bob, but am with Susan. He has 16 or 18 catalogues, and they are quite good. If you ask Susan (or Bob, but she is nicer), she may well let you have copies of some or all of his publications.
  Then, when there are no bottles, study bottles in catalogues. It helps me when there is nothing I can find to buy.
Good Luck, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: